Chapter 16

Batcave, July 7th

"What happened?" Superman flew into the med bay with an incapacitated Batman in his arms.

"Scarecrow," Alfred answered as he hooked Bruce to the IV line, "how long has he been sedated?"

"He's not exactly sedated," Clark didn't dare meet Alfred's eyes, "I had to knock him out."

"What happened?" Alfred asked as he worked on Bruce.

"I heard Dick screaming my name, if I'd been a second late Bruce might've killed Selina," Clark explained straight to the point, "I'm not sure what he was seeing, but it was bad."

"Where are Richard and Ms. Kyle?"

"He took her to the batmobile, they should be here soon," Clark didn't move.

"Did you hear anything that might be useful to me at the moment?" Alfred asked.

"I don't know, I can't be sure, I honestly don't know, I've never seen him like this, so out of control, so ready to snap someone's neck, he wasn't holding back."

"The computers are unlocked, could you check on Richard's status?" Alfred fastened the strongest restraints on Bruce's wrists and ankles.

Clark made no motion towards the computers.

"Alfred, what happened? I've seen him on fear toxin; I've seen him affected by stronger toxins he always pushed through-"

"Clark," Alfred snapped, "check on Richard, or leave."

Clark's eyes widened in shock, not only did Alfred call him by his first name; but he also snapped at him and sort of kicked him out. So Clark went to check on Dick's status, that's when he noticed something or more specifically the lack thereof.

Clark has been to the cave a lot, both before and after Jason had died. The Robin suit Jason died in was displayed in the cave from the day Bruce brought Jason's body back from Ethiopia, till the last time Clark had been here a few months back. He remembered the day he stopped Bruce from killing Joker when Joker had found a way to get diplomatic immunity from Iran. He remembered Bruce being rash, reckless and almost suicidal after Jason's death. He couldn't forget Bruce's words, "Jason was the best."

Where the hell was the suit?

"Alfred, where's Jason's suit?"

"Where's Richard?"

"2 minutes out, Alfred, what's going on?" Clark walked back to the med bay.

"I am analyzing a blood sample, to see if I need to synthesize a new antidote," Alfred explained as he worked, while ignoring Clark's questions.

"I know you prize yourselves a private bunch, but Alfred, Dick called me tonight because he couldn't handle Bruce himself," Clark started.

"While I appreciate the concern, I do have more pressing matters to attend to, so how about you question Richard for the reason he called you?" Alfred was studying the results and walking back to the fridge containing the various antidotes.

Alfred has never shown Clark Kent so much hostility, but Clark is nothing if not determined. He took a deep breath and focused his hearing, he tried to catch the bats and birds' voices, but they were a private and paranoid bunch. Spoiler, Robin, Batgirl, Batwoman and the Signal were still on the field, working their way into capturing Johnathan Crane. Red Robin was too silent, but then again, Tim was the most like Bruce. Black bat was nowhere to be heard. Dick and Selina were really quiet in the batmobile, which suggested they knew Clark would try to eavesdrop. So the Kryptonian waited for the first Robin and his best friend/ frenemy's ex-fiancée to return.