Coupling

It's been three days since the meeting and it's been tough. Dad decided that i should get involved with everything, though the problem has been D. I don't mean he's been a problem, just that some wolves still don't trust him. Take Chris, he wasn't to keen on having the war school open to everyone especially the shifters. He and Carmel were in another heated argument. "Damn it wolf of course you can't fight us. Not if your're afraid to" She gritted out. "I am not afraid, i am the leader of this school and don't trust you. Why should i? you shifters fight dirty how do i know that you're not just here to spy on us?" He demanded. Carmel looked ready to explode. "Carmel" Duncan called out stopping her for doing something stupid. Duncan stopped when he stood infront of her. "Claire just told me something interesting" He spoke. I was curious as to what he had learnt now. "The day in the woods did you bow to me or Justin?" He asked. Both looked confused "To you of course" She said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Duncan turned to Chris "She can't betray you. She gave me her loyalty, by betraying us she betrays me" He told him. "What does that have to do with anything?" I asked truly intrigued by this point. He just pointed to Carmel "By their law the penalty for betraying won loyalty is death" We all looked at Carmel, who looked slightly embarressed. "It is true, as he has won my loyalty by battle my punisment for betrayel is my life" "What if he doesn't want to?" i asked "Then someone else will do  it for him"

I gasped "You mean there is no way out of it?" Camel shook her head smiling "It is our way"

"Well that's all nice and cozy, but that only aplies to him, you could still betray the pack" Carmel gasped

"No she can't" Duncan spoke up. "If she betrayed the pack she would betray every single member including me" I think he might have looked a little smug.

"I didn't hear you refuse our oath" Carmel shot at him. Chris frowned "By pledging our bodys and life to someone means we now belong to them. We can never go back unless your Alpha releases us. On top of that three of us have pledged their heart and soul. My loyalty is to Duncan, my body and life is owned by my lord and your Alpha. To top it off my lord has given his heart and soul to Justin and so i also belong to him. D cannot betray Justin, the penalty is worse" She informed us. I frowned "What is worse then death?" I had to ask. Carmel turned to me "I have seen your Lunas after their mates death. Imagine that only worse. We are forced to live, alone. We are outcasted from all. No one to help us, we must live with it for the rest of our lives and believe me shifters will not let you die. There was a case i heard of, he betrayed his Amare and was cast out he went to your rogues hoping they would kill him. But he was being watched. Once the rogues were dealt with he was reminded that his punishment was for his natural life and that he was not allowed to end his suffering himself"

Damn now that was harsh. "What if he it had been the other way round? if they had attacked him?" I wondered loudly. "If it was no fault of his own and had fought back then they would have left him alone. It is coscidered natural" "Great so you can only die if you try to live right?" Carmel patted my shoulder. "That's right"

Chris just sighed and looked at me "I guess i don't have a choice do i?" He asked. I could see the toll this was taking on him, to trust a shifter must be hard. "Can i make a suggestion?" I asked him, Chris just nodded. "Why not get Duncan to help you with training?" They both looked at me like i was mad but Carmel was deep in thought. "He's only just started training" Chris pointed out and Duncan agreed. "True" Carmel spoke "But he does have one advantage over you" Chris did not look happy about that "And what is that?" He demanded. Carmel smiled "He has already fought with a shifter"

I could see the gears spinning in his head. "And he was untrained" He murmured to himself. "Damn it" He growled in fustration i just arched my eyebrow and crossed my arms. "When did you get so smart?" He asked me, i just shrugged. He turned to Duncan "What he means is with my experience as a fighter and your experience with a shifter we might just get this lot whipped into shape" He told him. Duncan stood there his mouth in an O shape.