Lantern Festival

The rest of the days in Cloud Recess remained as usual. A soul who longed to play with friends of his age group is now ecstatic to be surrounded by them. Wu Xin and I shared our room throughout my tenure in Cloud Recess. I wished if it was Yuan with whom I shared my room but I was happy staying with Wu Xin. I have realized by now Wu Xin wanted to get close to me so that he can know his past, he can know his identity, what happened with his mother and why Jiang uncle hates him so much. It was Jiang uncle who had taken promise from Wei Wuxian and Hanguang-Jun that he will spare Wu Xin only if they will never tell him truth about his connection with Lanlingjin. Post our classes sometimes we used to complete our assignments together. Sometimes he used to share his experience when he was all alone in temple which is truly inspirational and encouraging. In fact if he wasn't my room-mate I believe I would have never made to class on time. Like Sizhui he also got up early morning for meditation. He said he has followed this as practise since his childhood when he stayed in temple. No one in Yunmeng or Lanlingjin ever asked me to get up early morning. I could actually count the days in my life when I had seen sunrise.  

Today was the last day of our training. 

During afternoon all of us gathered together on ground with our materials. Wu Xin, Zizhen and Jingyi all of them were making their lanterns independently.

I and Yuan sat beside each other for making our lantern together. I shall be leaving for Lanlingjin so I wanted to spend most of my time with him. It was also my birthday and if uncle Jiang comes to surprise me then I wont be able to spend much time with my Yuan.

As we sat together to make lantern, we had an argument. Yuan wanted to make rabbits and I wanted to draw puppies on it.

Yuan - "Wei Wuxian and Hanguang-Jun had also drawn rabbits on their first lantern festival. We should also draw that"

Jin Ling - "I have already drawn that with Jingyi on Wei uncle's wedding. I dont want to redo same".

Stomping my feet I started walking. Picking all the materials from floor he started following me. "You cannot run away like this. We both are doing this. So, even I should have a say on this."
Suddenly, I paused. There were two rabbits behind the tree who were mating in open. A smile appeared on my face. I remembered Yuan's promise. Today is the last day of our training, the lantern festival. I turned to Yuan and teased him. Pointing towards the couple, I wanted to remind him of his promise. I smirked and instead of saying what I was thinking I spilled nonsense again. "We will draw rabbits only if they are in same pose".

Yuan - "Are you serious? We cannot draw that. What if Hanguang-Jun, Senior Wei or someone else have a look on our lantern"

Wei Wuxian saw us from afar arguing. He came towards us.

Wei Wuxian - "You guys are not making lantern?"

Yuan - "Actually I and Jin Ling were making lantern together. But, then I wanted to draw rabbits and he wanted to draw Fairy".

Wei Wuxian - "Rabbits...definitely you should go with rabbits"

Jin Ling - "It is my lantern. I will draw what I want to. I will draw many dogs in my lantern. I will do it alone in my room"

Yuan - "Then I will also make lantern alone in my room"

Inside my room I waited for A Yuan to join. As time passed, I felt like going to his room and apologizing. He is so sweet. But, my company has changed him. He fought with Jin Chan and now I cant believe we had our first argument. I thought of making the lantern alone but I didn't have any materials as well. I had no choice besides doing lantern with him in his room. And more, it is my last day. I started my day thinking of making each and every moment of our together special. And see, where we are? Locked in our individual rooms.

I knocked his door. He opened his door and pulled me into a hug. "I knew you will come".

I felt as if I am a warrior who has faced defeat on battlefield and now is approaching enemy for alliance.

Scrunching my nose I went inside and sat on his bed. He stood in front of me and kissed my nose.

Picking his lantern he sat beyond me wrapping his legs around my waist and resting his chin on my shoulders. He showed me his lantern. He drew a family of dogs. It was very beautiful as if it is done by some expert. "It is marvelous! Who taught you to draw with so much perfection?"

Yuan - "Zewu-jun"

I remembered the paintings in Lanlingjin palace. It was a gift from Zewu-jun to uncle Yao. They were magnificent that one couldn't stop looking at it admiring its perfection while passing by.

(* In the original novel, when Wei Wuxian in paperman form enters Jin Guangyao's secret room he comes across Zewu-jun drawings in the corridor of palace. Even in such situation he couldn't stop himself from stopping by and admiring his painting skills. So, Zewu-jun was truly an excellent painter as per novel).

Jin Ling - "I am sorry. I will draw rabbits for you. We shall fly two separate lanterns. Made of love for one another. But, pardon my drawing. I cannot draw as beautiful as you did"

Yuan placed his finger on my lips.

He removed a heart shaped paper which was tied inside the lantern. Igniting a fire talisman he placed it under the paper. With heat certain strokes automatically formed on paper. After some time the drawing was revealed. It was of rabbits in the same position.

Jin Ling - "We cannot paste this on lantern. I was foolish".

I never thought Yuan will actually draw that. I definitely don't want others to know about it.

"Don't worry, we will not paste this but one with an invisible ink will be tied inside so that nobody knows what is in it and when it is ignited it will blossom like our love away from everyone's prying eyes."

Jin Ling – "Then put it deep inside the hole"

Suddenly, the drawing slipped from his hand. When I saw Yuan he was red as cherry and seeing him I realized what words left from my mouth. Picking up the paper I handed it to him.

"Rulan, I will like it if you tell me how deep you prefer"

"Huh"

Tension was brimming between two of us. We have been with each other for almost a year. I wanted him to fulfill his promise. Still, with only two of us inside the room, right at this moment we both were speaking averting gaze from each other.

"Yuan"

"Hmm"

"Tomorrow I will be going back to Lanlingjin. I think .... No I don't think .... I mean .... Can we? .... Should we"

I was embarrassed back then when Wei Wuxian had declared love for his Lan Zhan. And, now I am more uneasy to express my desires for Yuan. I am sweating and I tell him I am going out for some fresh air.

As soon as I got up Yuan clasped his hands with mine pulling me towards him. I landed straight on his lap. Our eyes which were hiding from each other finally seek each other "Complete the sentence before leaving"

Yuan had earlier mentioned like Hanguang-Jun most of the Lan disciples are strong due to constantly being punished headstand. Now I know, even with all my strength I am not able to get up. The more I moved, the more his grip tightened around my waist.

Placing my palm on my face I peeked through the gaps. "Tomorrow I am going back to Lanlingjin. I want to take you with me."

His grip loosened giving me space. I continued cupping his cheeks, "I know we are not ready for this. For now, I just want your scent to be lingering on me so that when I leave tomorrow whenever I breathe I breathe you. I want your touch overall me so that I always feel you are embracing me, you are with me. I don't want to miss you A Yuan, I want to be always with you."

You Tube link below showing how to draw with lemon and fire