Family Meals (A)

Friday was going to much like the other days.

Except this morning when I saw the newspaper. There was an increase in violence around recently, not much in Forks, the small town was generally safe. But there was always the chance that they would seek out the solace of the small town.

The others didn't seem to realize the danger, instead there was laughing and gossiping about Bella's fainting incident. The moment Jess found out she couldn't help but laugh, so everyone knew... As always.

But everything was very much the same.

A test, an essay. Nothing new or strange and it okay because tomorrow was the trip to La Push. We had an easy day in gym, so I got the rare ability to walk into the cafeteria with the others. As we walked across the old yellowing floor, I immediately noticed when Bella's eyes move to the Cullen's table.

Maybe I was jealous, maybe I'd hoped Bella and I were closer friends. I mean I have spent more time with her than anyone else in this town. Isn't that how friendship works-you're there for them.

Or maybe, there was a deeper reason. I had been pining after Rosalie (no matter how secret) and never once did she take any interest in me, at least she never took any interest in anyone else either. It might have been better that way, but none of the guys here were good enough...

Except maybe Ben, he was a sweetheart...

Actually, I would go as far to say none of the Cullen's took an interest in anyone except Bella. And part of me couldn't help feeling jealous, that this awkward, clumsy girl who had only just recently moved to Forks warranted the attention of everyone in town, including the most elusive and isolated family.

And I wasn't the only one, Lauren and yes even Jess, though she tried to hide it, were jealous.

At my usual table, everyone was full of our plans for the next day. Mike was animated again, putting a great deal of trust in the local weatherman who promised sun tomorrow. But it was warmer today — almost sixty.

Plus, we were all used to the cold and anything about 40 was good enough.

The plan was for two cars, Mike would drive his SUV – since it could fit 7 and had enough cargo space. Then I would drive my mom's car like we planned before, since it was a nicer option than Lee's moms minivan.

I was excited for the weekend to finally take place, it was a little adventure, a chance to get away from town.

That night at dinner, my invited the Swan's over, I knew my mom wanted to invite them to the house, but she felt a little uncomfortable doing so because of how much different it was compared to everywhere else in town. She didn't want to 'show off', Charlie was a down to earth kind of guy, to him money meant nothing. He was more comfortable at his home, the small family diner.

By some miracle she ended up convincing them to come by. It was easier for us to cook, at least that's what my mom said. I knew it was because she knew I wasn't going to be eating a healthy meal tomorrow, and she was going to have a date with Charlie, so it was preemptive measures.

Charlie seemed enthusiastic about the trip to La Push in the morning. I think he was happy that Bella was getting out and doing something. Of course, he knew the names of all the kids going, and their parents, and their great-grandparents, too, probably. He seemed to approve.

I smirked a little when he asked for all that information, I think my mom was only appeased because I would be on the reservation.

"Dad, do you know a place called Goat Rocks or something like that? I think it's south of Mount Rainier," Bella asked casually. I furrowed my brows, unsure where this was going. Did she want to go there? I couldn't see that, not only was it the outdoors in the middle of the forest. It was surrounded by grizzly's...

"Yeah — why?" Charlie replied.

"Some kids were talking about camping there." Bella added not looking at any of us. I paused glancing at her slightly, I know everyone she talks to and none of them were stupid enough to go camping at Goat Rocks. Hell, none of the kids at Forks were stupid enough to go hiking there.

Unless... but why? Why would they do that?

"It's not a very good place for camping." Charlie sounded surprised. "Too many bears. Most people go there during the hunting season."

"Oh," she murmured. "Maybe I got the name wrong."

Conversation flowed easily after that, the adults discussing anything really. Recent events at work, nothing graphic, no one mentioned the recent attacks surrounding our small town.

We talked about blood typing in Biology class, after a look from Bella I made sure to omit her practical fainting. My mom looked at me concern filling her eyes.

"you didn't tell me that" she said between sips of wine.

I shrugged. "I already know my blood type, so I figured it wasn't a big deal. I cleaned it up and put a bandage on it. it's fine" I showed them my finger "see"

Eve placated everyone then we moved on. It was calming, everyone around. Of course, Bella's shut down... Charlie didn't seem to notice this, but he was always a little slower on those types of cues. Everyone else did though, why was she so focused on him? Like I said... it was like she was addicted to drugs, Edward, and she was going into withdrawals.