Power (A)

"Before we vote," Aro began. "Let me remind you," Aro continued, "whatever the council's decision, there need be no violence here."

Edward snarled out a dark laugh.

Aro stared at him sadly. "It will be a regrettable waste to our kind to lose any of you. But you especially, young Edward, and your newborn mate. The Volturi would be glad to welcome many of you into our ranks. Bella, Benjamin, Zafrina, Kate and Alexandra." His eyes stayed focused on me for a long while, a predatory gaze I might add. Rose let out a hiss, her hand coming down to thread through my fur "There are many choices before you. Consider them."

Aro's gaze swept across our hard eyes, looking for any indication of hesitation. From his expression, he found none.

"Let us vote, then," he said with apparent reluctance.

Caius spoke with eager haste. "The children are an unknown quantity. There is no reason to allow such a risk to exist. It must be destroyed, along with all who protect it." He smiled in expectation.

I fought back a shriek of defiance to answer his cruel smirk. Marcus lifted his uncaring eyes, seeming to look through us as he voted.

"I see no immediate danger. The children are safe enough for now. We can always reevaluate later. Let us leave in peace." His voice was even fainter than his brothers' feathery sighs. None of the guard relaxed their ready positions at his disagreeing words. Caius's anticipatory grin did not falter. It was as if Marcus hadn't spoken at all.

"I must make the deciding vote, it seems," Aro mused. Then I smelled something, something powerful and strong. And then I felt it... the low thrum of a long-lost member returning, the smell of citrus encompassed my being as the tether to her tightened. Alice had returned with Jasper and Hector?

My pack all sniffed the air, and I could feel them lighten at the thought of him showing up.

'he found Atlas' Aegeus spoke 'and his children'

'children?' I asked.

'yes, like Demetri' he replied.

Edward stiffened, then looked at me before hissing "Yes!"

I risked a glance at him. His face glowed with an expression of triumph - it was the expression an angel of destruction might wear while the world burned.

There was a low reaction from the guard, an uneasy murmur.

"Aro?" Edward called, nearly shouted, undisguised victory in his voice.

Aro hesitated for a second, assessing this new mood warily before he answered. "Yes, Edward? You have something further... ?"

"Perhaps," Edward said pleasantly, controlling his unexplained excitement. "First, if I could clarify one point?"

"Certainly," Aro said, raising his eyebrows, nothing now but polite interest in his tone.

"The danger you foresee from my daughter and nephew- this stems entirely from our inability to guess how they will develop? That is the crux of the matter?"

"Yes, friend Edward," Aro agreed. "If we could but be positive... be sure that, as she grows, she will be able to stay concealed from the human world - not endanger the safety of our obscurity . . ." He trailed off, shrugging.

"So, if we could only know for sure," Edward suggested, "exactly what they will become... then there would be no need for a council at all?"

"If there was some way to be absolutely sure," Aro agreed, his feathery voice slightly shriller. He couldn't see where Edward was leading him. But the feel of other beings with Alice, I had a guess that she found more like Renesmee. "Then, yes, there would be no question to debate."