More Information (A)

"Who's Renata? What does she do?" Bella asked. Renesmee was interested, too, leaning away from Carmen so that she could see around Kate. Demetri had climbed into Rosalie's arms tired after the excitement of the day.

"Renata is Aro's personal bodyguard," Eleazar told me. "A very practical kind of shield, and a very strong one."

"I wonder...," Eleazar mused. "You see, Renata is a powerful shield against a physical attack. If someone approaches her - or Aro, as she is always close beside him in a hostile situation - they find themselves... diverted. There's a force around her that repels, though it's almost unnoticeable. You simply find yourself going a different direction than you planned, with a confused memory as to why you wanted to go that other way in the first place. She can project her shield several meters out from herself. She also protects Caius and Marcus, too, when they have a need, but Aro is her priority. What she does isn't actually physical, though. Like the vast majority of our gifts, it takes place inside the mind. If she tried to keep you back, I wonder who would win?" He shook his head. "I've never heard of Aro's or Jane's gifts being thwarted."

"Momma and aunt Bella are special," Demetri said sleepily, like it was an everyday occurrence.

"Can you project?" Kate asked interestedly looking at Bella, though she glanced at me.

"Project?" I asked.

"Push it out from yourself," Kate explained. "Shield someone besides yourself."

"Alex was able to cover Bella's scent when we we're hiding from Victoria" Edward spoke.

"Yeah, but I thought you guys said you could still smell her?" I asked.

"barely" Edward amended "and that was Jasper and Lucia, they've been trained for it"

We looked at Bella, "I don't know. I've never tried. I didn't know I should do that."

"Oh, you might not be able to," Kate said quickly. "Heavens knows I've been working on it for centuries and the best I can do is run a current over my skin."

"Kate's got an offensive skill," Edward said. "Sort of like Jane."

"I'm not sadistic about it," she assured. "It's just something that comes in handy during a fight. It's what I was doing to Alex, though it didn't affect her."

"You have to teach me what to do!" Bella insisted, unthinkingly grabbing Kate's arm. "You have to show me how!"

Kate winced. "Maybe - if you stop trying to crush my radius."

"Oops! Sorry!"

"You're shielding, all right," Kate said. "That move should have about shocked your arm off. You didn't feel anything just now?"

"That wasn't really necessary, Kate. She didn't mean any harm," Edward muttered under his breath. Neither of us paid attention to him.

"No, I didn't feel anything. Were you doing your electric current thing?"

"I was. Hmm. I've never met anyone who couldn't feel it, immortal or otherwise." She looked between Bella and I.

"I felt it, but just the power behind it, not pain. Like I knew it was there"

"another shielding, your body absorbed and relocated it" Eleazar added. I grimaced and looked at Rose, I didn't mean to hurt her, but she didn't seem too concerned about it.

"You said you project it? On your skin?" Bella asked.

Kate nodded. "It used to be just in my palms. Kind of like Aro."

"Or Renesmee," Edward interjected.

"But after a lot of practice, I can radiate the current all over my body. It's a good defense. Anyone who tries to touch me drops like a human that's been Tasered. It only downs him for a second, but that's long enough." She looked at me, her expression almost giddy "maybe you could project the electricity from the ground and use it too"