A Warm Welcome (B)

After two classes, I started to recognize several of the faces in each class. There was always someone braver than the others who would introduce themselves and ask me questions about how I was liking Forks. I tried to be diplomatic, but mostly I just lied a lot.

At least I never needed the map.

One girl sat next to me in both Trig and Spanish, and she walked with me to the cafeteria for lunch. She was tiny, several inches shorter than my five feet four inches, but her wildly curly dark hair made up a lot of the difference between our heights. I couldn't remember her name, so I smiled and nodded as she prattled about teachers and classes.

I didn't try to keep up.

We sat at the sides of a full table with several of her friends, who she introduced to me. I forgot all their names as soon as she spoke to them. They seemed impressed by her bravery in speaking to me.

I was brought out of my examination when I heard someone approach us. I looked up and saw a girl who was probably the tannest person at the school, a sort of russet tone. She was easily taller than me, probably 5'6.

But unlike the other girls she appeared to be leaner, almost fragile, like she could break at any moment. Despite that she was arguably one of the best-looking girls around, but not like a cheerleader. Her tom boy attire proved otherwise. She was wearing tighter jeans and a half zip pullover with the zip open all the way to reveal a tank top. Her dark hair was wet and slightly tangled, like she just got out of a shower. I felt a little jealous looking at her, she looked like a model, it was almost unfair that she was sitting here with us.

The others greeted her, though she introduce herself to me. It wasn't like the others. She was confident and calm almost as if her job was to talk to strangers all day. Something I would never have. But the most interesting and strange thing about the girl was her eyes. They were green, with a grey ring around her pupil that expanded out into a little pocket. I had never seen eyes like this, they were both beautiful and full of knowledge.