Getting Taller (A)

I was in a valley, a valley of high mountains and snow, covering the landscape. The ocean was nearby lapping against the shore, a chill breeze flowing off of it. The only sound was the water.

Or so I thought, i listened for anything when the sound of a crackling fire filled the air. The smell of wood burning filled my nose. It was then I ended up in a little village, large tipi's arranged in a large circle created the village. In the middle a large fire was surrounded by a hundred people. They began speaking in a language that sounded vaguely similar though I wasn't sure how it was familiar.

It was native in tongue.

I only caught a few words, 'danger' and 'leave' at first, I thought they were talking about me, but no one noticed I was there. For a moment I stood and watched the others as they discussed. It was clear they were frantic and afraid. Something was threatening them.

Before I could find out everything turned dark, the only thing I could hear was the screams, the ripping of clothes, then growls or ferocious beasts.

The vibration of a stampede ran past me. the light returned and the landscape changed from an island of life to a lifeless abandoned landscape. Broken tents, broken totems, a dead village. Then in front of me was a man, pale as the moon an evil smirk on his lips. A Vampire.

He lunged at me.

I woke with a start my body curling in on itself, eyes darting for the danger. Only the dull gray light, the familiar light of an overcast morning, filtered outside my bedroom window.

I sighed realizing it was a dream, then I smirked to myself because I knew what today was. It was Bella's birthday and I know she said no presents, but did I listen... No.

No, I did not.

After stretching I got up and prepared for the day. Senior year was so far easy, most of my classes were shared with Alice, who has become a good friend. I couldn't really get rid of her if I tried, and I mean that literally, she showed up to my home on many occasions.

So, I accepted the vampire into my life. It was nice to have a friend that I didn't have to worry about telling any secrets, seeing as she had her own to keep. I was still cautious of them though, not afraid they would hurt me because I knew they would do everything in their power not to, but danger still lurked.

I was extra careful about papercuts, or any injury really. But I did find some solace in the family if they were around there would be less vampires. I mean three in four years was good odds as far as I was concerned, plus from the way Alice explains most try to avoid each other.

As I finished my shower, I glanced at the wall in my room, across from the window, it has become a picture wall. Pictures of Toby and my dad join the dozens of pictures I took this summer. True to my word we went some place warm and with plenty of adventure, I spent two weeks in Costa Rica. There were plenty of places to get lost in the beauty of the country. It was just what I needed after a semester of insane terror.

I grabbed my jacket and backpack, making sure Bella's gift was in my hand, before heading to the kitchen for a quick breakfast. As usual Eve is already down there. Recently she has been working from home more often, aiding other surgeons via phone and going over cases.

"Morning Al"

"Good morning, Eve"

She glanced at me, then did a double take examining me closely. "have you grown?"

I looked down at my jeans, they did appear to be a little shorter, nothing major though. "I don't know, I just thought they shrunk a little."

"maybe you're going through a growth spurt" she mumbled.