Something Strange (A)

By the time Eve got home dinner was done.

"I thought you hated this story" she asked as she looked at the television. My mom laughed while setting the table.

"I do, it's awful. But it's for school Mr. Berty wanted us to watch the movie for some reason. As if reading the books wasn't enough" I grumbled picking up my stuff. I really disliked the Romeo and Juliet.

"it's okay, I agree with you, if they only communicated this wouldn't have happened" my mom replied gesturing to the 'death' scene that was currently playing.

"or if just checked if she had a heartbeat" Eve replied. I laughed again; my family was far to science based to be fooled by this.

After dinner I settled in my room a sketchbook in my hands. I looked at the new drawings, the new landscapes, the new markers. It was like my dreams were trying to lead me to something, each picture was getting more and more detailed. It was a valley now, a valley in the middle of the wilderness of Canada or Alaska, I wasn't sure. But at least these dreams were spaced between the murderous vampires. 

That night like the others, I had another dream. They were getting more frequent, different events but the same location, same theme.

And all brought the same confusion.

I was in the sky, like an eagle flying over the land. It was dark now. Howls of wolfs filled the air as I flew closer to my desire. But just before I saw the location something else caught my eye. A boat.

They were dressed in clothing from the early 1900's, I flew along a river, upstream, following the men on the boat. They were looking for something, a place to stop or maybe someone.

The river took a sharp turn, and the boat goes through a canyon. Sheer cliffs touch up against the river. A tingle goes up my spine as I look at the walls of the canyons, the walls that have caves embedded into them but none that I could see into.

It got dark immediately; the wind picked up. it was terrifying, like a horror movie. As the river continues eventually the banks of the river get wider and give room for a boat to dock. A voice calls out catching my attention.

A tent was wedged between some trees. The men docked the boat and I perched in a tree. It didn't take me long to notice the body lying on the ground, outside of the tent.

The men run over quickly.

The body was headless, its clothes were ripped and destroyed, blood stained the ground. Inside the tent there was another body, just like the other one. Headless and mauled like an animal did so. Pieces of flesh and bone missing.

The men searched the camp looking for anything else. But my eyes caught a wolf in the distance. A large black wolf. It looked right at me as if trying to relay some sort of information, before looking up into the sky at the full moon.

The blinding moon pierced my eyes and I shot up in my bed.

I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes trying to figure out what my dream meant, I mean it had to mean something. I've been seeing the same wolf, the same location for weeks now. I should look it up, see if an incident like that happened but how would I know where to look. Just google 'Headless men mauled.' Yeah, I don't think that would narrow it down. At least not good enough.

When I got down to the kitchen, I found both my mom an aunt, which I thought was weird.

"Hey Al, you're up early"

I looked at the time and saw I was definitely up earlier than I normally was. "huh... I had a weird dream. Guess I didn't look at the time"

"what was the dream about?" my mom asked as she set a plate of eggs, potatoes, and bacon in front of me.