ᴏɴᴇ

"Oh, no, Sierra, I think you've had enough alcohol for one night," my best friend, Athena, yells over the loud music, taking my freshly ordered whiskey away from me

"I'm twenty-four, I think I can handle it," I say, attempting to get my glass back. Of course that doesn't work out the way I planned to.

Instead of reaching up to get my glass from her hands, I tip backwards, tumbling right into the embrace of a pretty good smelling guy. He has strong arms, ones I will continue to think of even hours later.

"I'm sorry." I apologise without even looking at the kind guy that so happened to catch me before this would have gotten embarrassing. Whoever he is, he is one of my colleagues, and it is bad enough that he will remember me as the woman that fell right into his arms at a work-party.

I haven't been working at Storm's Holdings Inc. long enough to recognise all the employees yet, and I'm glad about that now. Imagine if I had to walk up to Mr. life-saver tomorrow, knowing he caught me before my klutz-self kissed the floor hello... that would be totally embarrassing.

"Ms. Bloom, you should watch your alcohol intake," a deep voice speaks just when I'm about to run for an exit. I freeze. Whoever the man standing right behind me is, he sure has a deep and intimidating voice. And he knows me. Dammit. "You have a meeting to attend to, tomorrow morning at eight."

"Oh, my God," Athena mouths at me then presses her lips together. Her eyes are wide with horror, and I'm pretty sure if she had a gun with her right now, she would end me.

I squint my eyes, pressing them as close shut as possible. I turn to face the mysterious voice, praying it doesn't belong to the person I think it does.

"Mr. Storm." I'm sure my voice is barely audible over the music, and even if it was, I don't think I sounded it out. Perhaps I just mouthed his name. "I sincerely apologise for the inconvenient fall. I should have landed on the floor."

He grunts, I think. If he did, I didn't hear it, but he didn't speak either. All Mr. Storm does is turn and walk away like I've never fallen into his arms. He doesn't even so much to acknowledge my apology.

Well, I guess I'll be waiting for my termination papers then. There is no way Mr. Storm will keep me as his employee after what just happened.

The only other talk we've ever had was for my interview... and he didn't even interview me himself. No, he sent Athena. At some point he walked into the room, didn't even say hello, asked Athena if I'm good enough for his team and when she said yes, he nodded and left.

I'm pretty sure Athena only said yes because she's known me all her life, but who even cares? I have a job (as of now), I can pay my bills, I even have some money left for food, that's enough for me to be happy.

"You're so fired," Athena says when I'm in her arms instead of my boss's.

I groan but nod. I sure am.