i. XXII

A/N; Ok so completely unrelated to the upcoming chapter, but I just realized something I did completely by accident. So Azami is Azulon's sister, right. And she's also Iroh's aunt, by extension. Now, that was all intentional, but, uh, it also means she's freaking Ozai's aunt.

Maybe I didn't think this through before writing it XD

Literally uploading at 6 am, what even is a sleep schedule, I have become vampire. Btw, longest chapter yet. Bring some popcorn.

Katara P.o.V.

"This should give us a good idea of what's around here," Katara commented as she approached a kiosk, glancing at the poster hung upon it. "We do need to find some food soon."

Azami and Aang approached beside her. "I bet we'll find something to eat here," Aang replied happily as he read the poster. "The Fire Days festival!"

"Huh," Azami deadpanned. "I haven't been to one in ages."

Katara glanced over at the firebender. "What's it about?" she asked.

"Says here that it has Fire Nation culture exhibits, jugglers, benders, magicians..." Aang's voice trailed off. "Could be a good place for me to study some firebending. What do you think, Azami?"

The princess shrugged. "As long as we take precautions, it shouldn't be an issue," she admitted. "One of the main parts of the festival is wearing masks, so there's a low chance we'd be recognized. But the performers are only really interested in being flashy with their bending, it won't help you much with actually learning the element or using it in combat. Besides, you should really be focusing on waterbending for now."

"If it's safe, I'm in," Aang stated cheerfully. "It's been a while since we got to do something fun like this."

Sokka's voice trailed over from the other side of the kiosk. "You might want to rethink that," he grumbled. "Look at this."

The three joined him on the other side, glancing at multiple wanted posters. There were multiple posters, two of which Katara recognized - one for Aang, and one for Azami. "Hey, there's posters of us!" Aang exclaimed as he pulled down the two posters.

"Yeah, wanted posters," Sokka deadpanned at the airbender. "This is bad. I think we should probably keep moving."

"What, is this news to you?" Azami scoffed at him, and Sokka shrunk back a little. "In case you forgot, we've both been wanted ever since the Solstice. And did you miss the part where I said we would be wearing masks?"

Sokka shuffled on his feet nervously. "W-well, I... I just don't think it's a good idea," he stammered out.

The firebender rolled her eyes at him. "Right. Remind me, when was the last time you had one of those?" she snapped, before heading back to Appa.

Sokka gazed sadly at Azami as she walked off, and Katara and Aang shared a nervous look. They'd both overheard every bit of their argument after leaving Bato behind, and while Katara fully agreed with everything Azami said, she couldn't help feeling bad for her brother. He'd done something incredibly stupid, and while she didn't fully understand everything that they said to each other, she got the idea.

Clearly, something had happened between them before Aang hid the map to her father, and Sokka ruined it for them.

Azami P.o.V.

The young princess stood on an outcrop overlooking the nearby Fire Nation colony, where the festival would be taking place. A breeze blew past, and she sighed, glancing down at her feet. For one night, one glorious, blissful night, Azami had been able to sleep without nightmares. She finally got to sleep in peace, and just when she thought things were looking up, she gets stabbed in the back.