i. XXIV

A/N; Thank you all so much for 10k reads, it really is astonishing for me to reach this point. So, as a thank you - double upload hype!! Haven't done this in a while lol

FYI this chapter has been rewritten from its original format, so there will be comments here that make absolutely zero sense. Sorry about that if it's distracting to anyone.

Also, btw, first original chapter that isn't based on any episodes. Hopefully it turned out well lol.

Azami P.o.V.

Well, this sucks.

It was around two weeks now since the gaang had arrived at the North Pole. Katara and Aang were both making great progress with their bending, something which they never failed to mention almost every time they came back. Or rather - Katara was making great progress. Aang was more focused on playing in the snow.

As for Sokka, he'd been spending a lot of his days with Princess Yue. Apparently they were having fun 'just hanging out', in his words, which he too couldn't avoid gushing about fairly often.

Azami though? Her days often consisted of about three things; walking around the Northern Water Tribe, petting Appa, or sitting around their 'house', having Momo chase a small flame that she sent bouncing around everywhere.

Basically, the others were having the time of the their lives, while Azami was doing everything she could to not go insane.

It also didn't help that her stupid nightmares refused to go away. She'd forgotten about it when they first arrived, but she couldn't help thinking back to when they'd visited the Northern Air Temple shortly after they left Bato behind. Long story short, the place was destroyed beyond repair, and it helped reinforce yet again Azami's mistakes in leaving her family behind.

More concerning, though, was the inventions that they had been working on there. The idea of the Fire Nation with the ability to control and attack from the skies was admittedly more than a little terrifying. Hopefully, that balloon would never again see the light of day.

All these thoughts crossed through her mind as she just laid on her bed, gazing at the tiny blue flame she kept hovering above her. She hadn't paid too much attention to it lately, but she again found herself missing her old white flames. While the blue was pretty, it just felt like she'd lost a part of identity.

Unfortunately, though, she was the only person in history to have ever had them, so she had no idea how she could get them back. If she even could.

The sound of the front door opening broke her stupor, and she let the fire disappear as she sighed. Loud, cheerful conversations could be heard from the main room, and Azami had to basically force herself to get up and join them.

"-and you should have seen her, trapping him in that ice block!" Aang's voice exclaimed as she came within earshot. "Pakku himself said that Katara might just be his best student ever."

"Nicely done," Sokka praised his sister, who was blushing slightly. "Seems like you really got through to him."

Azami opened the door, and was greeted with the sight of the the three lounging in the middle, looking totally at ease. "And how are things going with Yue?" Katara asked, having not even noticed the firebender enter the room.

"Oh, it's been great," Sokka gushed as he sat up excitedly. "She still seems to be struggling with her engagement, but aside from that we've been having loads of fun. She even showed me this secret armory in the palace with all these ancient Water Tribe weapons, which was probably the coolest thing I've ever seen."