ii. I

A/N; Hey guys! Welcome to book 2 :D

I know I said this wouldn't be here until 2022, but I decided to give you guys the first chapter a little sooner than expected as an early christmas present, or uh a random late december present if you don't celebrate christmas xD

Rest of book 2 is gonn be starting in january, but for the time being I thought I'd give you guys a little teaser of what's in store for this part of the narrative.

With that in mind, hope you all enjoy :)

Aang P.o.V.

Fierce winds blew through the abandoned halls of the Southern Air Temple, it's desolate nature more apparent than ever. No matter where he ran, the young Avatar couldn't find anyone. He knew the one place to look, but he kept avoiding it. It was easier to hide than to face what he knew was waiting for him.

Standing before the entrance to the council room, where he knew he'd find the remains of his mentor, Aang took a deep breath as he pulled the curtain aside. It revealed much of what he expected - dozens of Fire Nation soldiers lying dead, surrounding the body of Gyatso - but it also showed him something he did not expect. A young airbender, kneeling before the massacre.

The monk turned to face him, and Aang recoiled in shock as he saw himself, the duplicate's eyes and tattoos a blinding white. He gasped at the sight, and was quickly blasted away by a powerful gust of air. He flew backwards, collapsing to the ground as the scenery around him shifted. Now, he was back in Roku's temple, before the sanctuary doors.

As the doors slid open, a pair of glowing white eyes and arrow appeared out of the darkness before him. The thing breathed flame, reaching out with it's bending to split the floor clean in half, sending Aang falling to his death. Or so he thought.

He grunted as he landed on a hard metal surface. The Fire Navy ships - he was back at the invasion. Looking up in horror, the immense form of La fused with himself approached, and Aang sat there in fear, knowing there was nothing he could do.

The creature raised an arm, before allowing it to fall, sending a massive wave towards the ship-

Aang sat up suddenly, gasping as his eyes flew open. He panted for a few seconds before calming down, realizing that he'd had another nightmare. Ever since leaving the North Pole, they had become more frequent again. This time, with a focus on the Avatar State. Why he kept dreaming of it, he was unsure, but it terrified him.

Wanting to clear his head, he headed over to the ladder and climbed up to the deck, trying to keep from waking the others. When he got up, he leaned against the side of the boat, watching the sea roll past him. It was calming, though nowhere near enough to make him forget his dreams.

"Do you wanna talk about it?" Katara's voice echoed from behind him.

"Nah, just a nightmare," Aang replied as he kept his head low. "I was in the Avatar State, but I was outside my body watching myself. It was scary." He closed his eyes, trying to erase the memories. "I was scary."

Katara didn't respond, only placed a hand on his shoulder. He smiled gratefully over at her, and neither said anything - the message was heard loud and clear. He knew how lucky he was to have someone who looked out for him. She left a few minutes later once it became apparent Aang wasn't going to say anything more, and the airbender sighed as he headed up to the bow of the ship.

A moment later, much to his surprise, he realized he wasn't alone.

"Couldn't sleep either?" she asked.