Chapter 12

~the human heart is hidden treasures,
In secret kept, in silence sealed; the thoughts, the hopes, the dreams, the pleasures, whose charms we're broken if revealed~
I hardly slept the night before but I stood up leaving Edmund and my mum to sleep in peace by the box in the plane with the masks and hoodies. My arms hurt from all the swinging with the sticks, but I ignore the pain. The air cool so I pull the hood up, stuffing my hands into the pockets in the jumper. The sun is just rising making a faint glow of orange sunlight leaking through the trees. The ground damp from the cool weather clouds above grey signalling that rain is on its way. I look to my right through the maze of endless trees and turn left towards the beach. I step over sticks and logs that lay ahead.
I reach the beach, the light hitting me and the cool breeze hitting my face making me get goose bumps. I spot a couple of birds near a tree perching in their nests. I always seem to like having quiet time alone, it lets me think about things I can never think while people are around. But there is always one memory that hits me like hail balls during a storm, my first kiss. James was my first kiss, it was a hot summers day and we were at the beach in Waikiki. We were swimming in water up to my chest, I splashed him with water and he splashed back. We were mucking around when he caught my hand in his, freezing myself. I was so numb and didn't want to move, I couldn't move. I don't remember who made the move but then we were kissing, I never felt so alive in my life. Butterflies flying around in my stomach and fireworks going off in my head. I shake my head from the thoughts and think back to my dad. My mum and him had a rough relationship, throughout school they fought, when Edmund and I were kids-and teenagers-they fought. But they never gave up. They loved-love-each other and they taught me never to give up on something you love, because it will always turn around and come back for you. When James and I broke up, I still had hope that he'll come back to me but he never did, I still hope though.
"Emma?" I hear a voice, James's voice.
"Yeah?" I turn around to see James standing there on his black long pants and hoodie up with his hands stuffed in his pockets like mine.
"I was worried," he says standing next to me looking out at sea.
"Sorry, I needed fresh air," I tell him closing my eyes and clenching my teeth.
"Don't be sorry," he smiles. "You shouldn't be out here without your bow."
"It's only early, I thought that I wouldn't need it." I shiver and his hand goes around my pulling me into him.
"Let's get back," he tells me and we walk.