Chapter 11

~above, the fair hall-ceiling stately set
Many an arch high up did lift,
And angels ring and defending met
With interchange of gift~
"It's not as easy to escape this island as you think," Slade says as I chew on a piece of gum I brought over. "To escape this island, you need to be smart, you need to be wise, you need to be brave, you need to be strong and most importantly you need to be willing to sacrifice yourself. It's not as easy as coming here."
I stand next to Edmund and my mum near the water looking out.
"You see that submarine?" Slade asks and we nod. "It's been there for thousands and thousands of years, Sebastian, a young fighter who was here a couple years ago, he found a way out o that submarine, and you want to know what he found?" Slade paused glancing at us. "He found the key to escaping this island and the key to bring down Deathstroke."
"So why didn't he bring Deathstroke down?" I ask.
"Because." He starts, "Deathstroke is his brother. However, Sebastian isn't like his brother. He came here seeking justice and hope to find the man who killed their mother when they were little."
"And did he?" Edmund asks.
"He did." Slade pauses once again. "Deathstroke was the one who killed their mother, he never meant to though. When Sebastian arrived here he had no idea where or what his brother was doing, he hadn't seen him for over 20 years. He hardly recognised his own brother, Deathstroke wanted to tell Sebastian why he killed there mother but it would've hurt him too much. So, Sebastian was here for 5 years, he was even in the Justice League-"
"Why not in Deathstrokes league?"
"The League of Assassins? Because, he found out why he killed their mother. He wanted revenge but he knew without training, he wouldn't stand a chance against his brother. He then built a boat from trees and sailed himself to the submarine and found corpses....of his mother and many more people, there was a secret code that he found out from the corpses.
"The way to kill his brother is to use his own knowledge against him and at the slightest mention of his mother can bring him down. Instantly. Aboard that submarine was a radio, it worked like brand new. Sebastian used it, called for help and was rescued."
"So, we use that," Lucie says.
"It's not that easy," Slade points out. "Ever since then, Deathstroke has kept the submarine heavily guarded from top to bottom, without the proper training that Sebastian got, you won't ever get past them."
"So we train," I say crossing my arms over my chest. At the corner of my eye I saw movement but ignored it. I raise my eyebrows at Slade who shakes his head.
"It will take ages for you to learn to really take out the guards," Slade shakes his head again.
"How long?" My mum finally talks.
"More than a year," he tells us frowning. "Unless, you're a fast learner and can learn in about 2 months."
"We went to boot camp, we also do jujitsu," James says.
"So, you all know a little bit of fighting and how to defend yourself?" Slade asks raising his eyebrows at James who nods.
"But," Lucie says. "Emma and Edmund are at the top of the class."
"Well, I wouldn't say th-" I start but James cuts me off.
"It's true," James interjects. The sun is setting and the sky is orange.
"Let's see what you got, Emma first." I widen my eyes and shake my head.
"Dude, you'll drop me to the floor instantly!" I tell him.
"Don't call me 'dude' and I will go easy." Slade promises. I give him a wry look then finally agree and nod my head. He picks up four thick round sticks and throws two to me, catching them, I hold them out making an 'x', so does he. I swing my right hand with the stick and he dodges, making the stick travel past his body. His left arm swings low at my knees but I jump and swing my left arm hitting his arm.
"Okay. Come on, you said easy, not easy easy!"
He smirks nodding, "want harder?"
I nod.
After about 15 minutes of dodging and getting smacked in the legs and arm by the sticks he points the stick on my chest.
"That. That, is how you should always finish." He tells me as I drop the sticks to the sand breathing heavily.
"I know Ra's said you're good, but I didn't expect that good," he tells me nodding to Edmund who comes over. "You and I, lets go."
"Okay," Edmund smirks picking the two sticks up and making an 'x' out front.
"Show me what you got!"