Chapter 31 | The Council

Hi everyone,
Here is Chapter 31 for you! I was hoping to write a little more for this chapter from Iris's perspective, but this is all I managed to get done this week and I still wanted to upload on time! I hope you enjoy it anyway, I had fun introducing some new characters this chapter!
Love Daisy x

____________________________

Chapter 31 | The Council

*

"Do you think the universe
fights for souls to be together?
Some things are too strange
and strong to be coincidences."
- Emery Allen

*

In the West Wing of the palace, in the King's private meeting room, a group of lycans were seated around a table. Every seat was occupied, save for the armchair at the head of the table which was glaringly empty. To the right of the chair sat Balthazar. The old lycan glanced at the empty seat, sighed, and looked to the far end of the room where Vandor lounged against the wall, seemingly unaffected by the silent turmoil in the room.

The silence was only broken by the sudden opening of a door, and all heads turned to look at the person who walked through. It was Ezekiel.

The King's advisor looked apologetic as he approached. "I must apologise," he began, offering a short bow of a respect, "his Majesty will not be joining us today."

"Ridiculous!" Halfway down the table, one of the lycans rose to his feet, slamming his hands down on the sturdy chestnut wood with a bang. The man's shoulder length silver hair was pulled back into a knot at the base of his neck and his deep amber eyes were narrowed with displeasure. "Does he think he can avoid us forever?"

"Quick to anger; as usual Ragnar." Across the table another lycan spoke- a female this time. Her posture was lazily arrogant as she lounged in her own chair, a direct contrast to the incensed male she addressed. "Did it ever occur to you that perhaps the Alpha is avoiding us because he has nothing else to say on that matter? You should be grateful he does not appear to silence your insolent mouth personally."

"Tch," Ragnar scowled deeply at the woman, his disdain for her words clear. "Whether or not he has no more to say is irrelevant," he said scornfully, "he still required to hear our questions."

"Hear them he may, but he is not obliged to reply," the female's black eyes glittered with amusement as she watched the other lycan visibly bristle. "It seems our King knows all too well, that you would not be satisfied by merely voicing your opinion. Perhaps that is why he is avoiding this meeting."

"Neith, that is enough." A pale hand laid down upon the female lycan's bronzed arm, quietly restraining. The one called Neith, turned her gaze to the woman sitting beside her. The other female was slight in build, with deep auburn hair that curled to her slender waist. Her heart shaped face was smooth, and free from any of the discord her peers expressed- her blue eyes startlingly sincere. "Do not tease Ragnar."

Neith melted instantly, her countenance becoming indulgent. "Of course, my sweet Elaine," she fussed, patting the smaller woman's hand. "But you cannot blame me, he is too easy to wind up."

"Present or not, there is still some who may be able to provide answers." Ignoring Neith, Ragnar's piercing gaze fell down upon Balthazar at the far end of the table. "You've been very quiet Balthazar; I don't suppose you could enlighten us to the situation."

Balthazar sighed as all eyes turned towards him. He had known it would come to this.

"Yes," Neith mused, "I did hear that the King had assigned you to your teaching post once again. Have you been tutoring the child, Balthazar? Surely you must know of his Majesty's intentions in this matter?"