Chapter 24 | The Final General

Hi everyone!

This Chapter is probably not edited as well as it could have been, as I really just wanted to get it done and dusted so I can get to the good bits (god the pain of writing). Finally, it's finished though (yay) so next chapter we are off with Darius to see some familiar faces!! Hehe.

I hope you guys enjoy it all the same, and don't get too wary of Vandor. He's a nasty doggy with terrible manners, but he doesn't actually bite :)

Lots of love,
Daisy x

________________________

Chapter 24 | The Final General

*

'I can see
t h r o u g h
you.'

-anon

*

IRIS

'Vandor will consider you a threat to his King.'

It was a moment before Iris realised what her tutor was implying. When she did, she felt aghast. "But I would never-" she began, but Balthazar cut her off.

"I know that Princess, but Vandor is incapable of seeing it that way. Silvon or not, Vandor himself is loyal only to the House of Greyson. For all he knows, you could intend to claim the throne back from Darius. While some may argue that is your right ... there are those – like Vandor – that would disagree. Heavily. In the eyes of many, Darius did technically, win the throne fair and square.
"And while his motives for doing so may have been spurred by loyalty to the House of Silvon, it is still Darius who has served as King for the past fifty years. Those who have served him during that time have never seen him as a mere stand in. Regardless of Darius's wishes – whatever they may be – those who support him will not see him step aside so easily. Not when they have fought so fiercely for him to gain the respect he deserves."

Iris could not help but notice the slightest spark of challenge, that just for a moment, had flashed through her tutors calm blue eyes. Did that mean Balthazar too, was someone who felt that way? Someone who viewed Iris as a potential threat? She found herself feelings slightly sick at the thought.

"What Balthazar is saying," Arlo said quietly, as he drew her backwards into a loose embrace, "is that, if Darius was to step aside, what is that saying to those who have served him loyally, and seriously, as their King, for all these years. He would practically be dismissing their faith in him."

"However," Arlo's body shifted slightly to block her from Balthazar's view. She could hear the frown in his voice as his tone turned accusing. "However, Balthazar- you went too far. She may be young, but you should remember who it is you are speaking to." It was rare for Arlo to criticise the older lycan with such a defensive tone. Her guardian was not happy.

"It's fine," Iris assured him, shrugging out of his hold slightly so that she had a clear view of Balthazar. "I understand why Vandor would be concerned," she told the old lycan, although the directness of her gaze made it clear she was not only referring to the General she had yet to meet, "but it is not my intention to do anything that would upset the current Monarchy. Especially not in a time of such unrest." She gave Balthazar a genuine smile- it was easy to do. Despite her discomfort at the thought of her tutor suspecting her so, she supposed she could not blame him. And she could hardly condemn him for his loyalty to his King. "And as you have so eloquently said before," she teased, "in my current state, who in their right mind would choose to follow me?"