Chapter 41 | (In)capable

Ooo I was mean to end it there. I'm so sorry xD
Happy reading,
Love Daisy x

P.S Obsidian threw a fit after last week and demanded a chapter quote -shrugs-

________________________

Chapter 41 | (In)capable

*

"Hello, Kitten."

- Obsidian Bones
(A Pirate's Kiss)

*

IRIS

The walk to the East Wing was understandably silent.

Iris did not attempt to speak to Gabriel. She would not blame him if he hated her after the way she had spoken to his King. So instead, she kept her head down, following him obediently, mind numb as she concentrated on walking, step by step to the East Wing.

The silence was not broken until they reached the door to her quarters.

"We are here, Princess." She was surprised to find that- instead of angry- Gabriel actually sounded slightly apologetic. Her fingernails dug into her palms, and she refused to look at him. Instead, she pushed the wood door open forcefully and stepped through without looking back. The last thing she needed was pity.

"Princess ..." Gabriel's tone made her falter, and stiffly, she turned to face him, staring at a spot on his shoulder rather than meet his calm green eyes. "About Prince Arlo, you should not worry about him too much. He is strong- I'm sure he will be fine."

"You don't know that" her reply was quiet, and vicious, "none of you do."

Gabriel did seem to know what to say to that. "The King will assign guards," he said awkwardly instead, "to the Princess's secret exits as well. His Majesty knows them all," he added- noting the flicker of surprise in Iris's blank gaze. "So, it would be best if my Lady does not try to escape and obeys the King's order."

Iris's jaw clenched. "Fine," she said rigidly, "I understand."

After Gabriel had left, Iris stood in her living room, looking out the window at the city below.

For a moment, she was still. Blank. Unfeeling.

Suddenly, it was as though everything hit her all at once. The nightmare, Darius's scorn, the injured lycan, the warning, and Arlo ... Arlo.

In a fit of rage, Iris turned, lashing out on everything within reach. The dining table was upturned and flung at the opposite wall where it connected with a bang, before dropping to the floor. Her lengthened claws tore through upholstery and cushions, stuffing spilling from the gutted divans like clouds of steaming innards.

She screamed in fury, as she hurled another chair at the door, watching in satisfaction as the fragile wood splintered and shattered completely from the force. She picked up another chair and repeated the action, her movements becoming increasingly feral as she worked her way through each dining room chair, and the pile of splintered wood in front of the door grew and grew.

Storming over to the pile she picked up the splintered pieces and flung them, one at a time, at the opposing wall, where they buried deep into the wood like knives, their sharp, exposed ends quivering from the force of impact.

Panting, Iris stared at the destruction she had wrought and then stormed to her room to stare out the window through red rimmed eyes.

Far below, the city was still alight with lanterns from her birthday celebration- the lycans of Aether still blissfully unaware of the threat that lurked around their borders, of the potential and immediate demise of their Prince.