Chapter 34 | The Ball

Whew, this chapter was nuts to write- but I got there in the end!
Hope you enjoy it- expect drama next chapter.

ALSO: I'm taking requests for Christmas presents! What do you guys want? Could be anything , with any characters- fanfics, Christmas specials, or extra chapters. Let me know what you'd like in the comments!

Love Daisy x

__________________________________

Chapter 34 | The Ball

*

"I tell myself I am searching
for something. But
more and more, it feels like
I am wandering, waiting for
something to happen
to me.
Something that will change
everything,
something that my whole
life has been leading up to."

- Khaled Hosseinir

*

IRIS

"Just remember, from tonight, you will need to conduct yourself as a Princess would, in everything you do."

Balthazar sat in front of the fireplace in Iris's living room, dressed handsomely in a black and white suit that gave him the appearance of one who was not to be trifled with. "Remember," the old lycan said darkly, "there is always someone-"

"Someone watching," Iris called from inside her room where she was having the final touches done to her hair, "yes, yes I know."

Iris concentrated on sitting still, as yet another bejewelled flower was pinned precisely into the heavy braid that hung down her back and tried to resist the urge to rip them all out.
According to Balthazar, pulling apart a hairstyle that her maids had just spent an hour working on was not behaviour befitting a Princess. So instead, Iris satisfied herself with rolling her eyes as her tutor continued to lecture her from the other room.

"The dignitaries attending tonight are few in number, and rather pleasant to engage with, if my memory serves me well. Or at least one of them is."

"That's Zephyr Ascain, correct?" Iris had heard the name before. He was the brother of the Air Kingdom's Queen- the one who had recently been married. Darius had left for the Water Kingdom capital city, Lilura, to attend the wedding.

"Yes, but it's his nephew that might be difficult to deal with. The Crown Prince Zalas is rather well known for his temper."

Iris hummed as she fidgeted in her chair. "Why are they coming again?"

"It was a reciprocal invitation, Princess. One that the council thought would be a good idea as a show of good will. The fact that his Majesty is allowing your presence to be known to the royalty of the other races suggests that he places value in their support. It is a good move to make- considering our current situation."

"Somehow it doesn't really sound like something Darius would have decided to do." Iris could not imagine Darius taking the initiative to get along with anyone.

"Well, you are half right," Balthazar's tone was dry. "It was Ezekiel's idea, and Prince Arlo and the council both supported it."

"And Darius?" Iris asked after a pause, unsure of why she cared.

Balthazar too, was silent for a moment before he replied. "His Majesty can see the benefit of such a decision," he said stiffly, "but I imagine that, were it anyone else, he would not have been so inclined to agree."