Chapter 50 | The Lion and The Liar

In this chapter you will either love me or hate me. Or maybe a bit of both. 
I hope you all enjoy it either way - sorry it took so long to post; it was really difficult to write this for some reason, and I edited out/ re-wrote some parts because they were a bit out of character :)
We are reaching the end now, perhaps only three or so chapters remaining? 

I hope you are all well,
Lots of love,
Daisy xo

________________________

Chapter 50 | The Lion and The Liar

*

'In the middle of the night,
In the middle of the night,
Just call my name,
I'm yours to
claim.'

- Elley Duhe

*

IRIS

Iris waited three days before deciding to tell Gabriel.

I'm leaving.

They were in the middle of a training session, and she had finally beaten her guard for the first time since Arlo's death. She had looked down at him sitting in the dirt, and – high on the triumph of winning – had shared the thought unconsciously.

Immediately she regretted her choice.

Gabriel was so stunned, that for a moment he simply stared.

Leaving ... to go where?

I'm not entirely sure yet. But I'm leaving Aether. Iris narrowed her eyes. "I forbid you from repeating this," she felt the need to say the command out loud, as though speaking it internally didn't hold enough power.

"Is this about revenge?"

Iris winced. "No." She lied.

Gabriel scrambled to his feet and gripped her shoulders firmly. "Princess," he pleaded, "I must ask you to reconsider."

She looked at him fiercely. There is no reconsidering. You can either come with me, or you can stay behind.

Slowly, Gabriel released his hold and Iris was surprised to see he looked slightly wounded. I have pledged myself in your service, he said. You believe that I would abandon that vow so readily?

No, Iris felt uncomfortable. But this is the first time I would be asking you to do something beyond your will.

Gabriel's stoic expression softened slightly. No one said it was beyond my will, my lady.

But Iris couldn't help but feel that it wasn't going to be so simple.

-

"I told you," Iris snapped irritably. "You don't need to do this."

"Yes. I do."

"No-one asked you to come. I certainly have no interest in sparring with you. You should just go. Mizuki and Gabriel are more than enough for me to practice against."

"Mizuki is biased," Vandor drawled over his shoulder, "and so is Gabriel." Iris quickened her footsteps to keep pace with him, but she swore he was walking faster on purpose. "It is my duty, as the King's first General, to put you in your place."