Chapter 53 | Links

Chapter 53 | Links 

*

"I have belonged to you,
since the beginning of time."

-unknown

*

DARIUS

Darius had been stuck in his thoughts since leaving Aether, and it was beginning to show.

"What's wrong with you?" Vandor asked. It was an innocent question – his General was lounging indolently against the railing of the top deck, keeping Darius company while he was at the wheel. Not that Darius was fit for company right now. He was fairly certain that Vandor had been talking to himself for the last half an hour. He hadn't heard a word the other man had said.

"Nothing." He grunted.

Vandor raised one slanted brow. "What did the Princess tell you before you left?"

Darius's hands clenched on the wheel. "Nothing." He repeated shortly. His grey eyes scanned the open ocean, studiously avoiding Vandor's judgemental stare.

It was unfortunate however, that although he could ignore Vandor, he could not ignore the memories that resurfaced with the other man's inquiry. Darius clenched his teeth, a muscle jumping in his jaw. There was an odd throbbing in his chest, and he rubbed it in frustration, ignorant to the fact that Vandor's eyebrows rose even further with the uncharacteristic action.

Darius had yet to hear from Azrael. He had attempted to contact the lion but had received nothing in return. It was unusual, but not unheard of. More often than not, it meant that the lion was occupied, and in this case, occupied was good. Occupied meant that he was doing his job. Still, the lack of intel nudged at the back of Darius's mind, like an itch he couldn't quite scratch.

Rolling his neck to the side, Darius felt his bones pop. He grunted in satisfaction and rolled his shoulders as well. He had been finding it difficult to sleep – more so than usual – and was growing stiff. Sighing, he drummed his fingers on the wheel.

He wondered what she was doing.

"Did you hear anything I just said?" Vandor asked incredulously.

"No," Darius snapped, with a fierce scowl. "Because everything you have to say is utter rubbish."

"Tch," Vandor sneered. "Is talking about your precious Princess trash too then?"

Turning slowly, Darius sent his General an imperious glare. "Vandor," he warned lowly. "I am not in the mood."

"Oh, and I wonder why that is," Vandor hissed back.

"Meaning?" Darius asked dangerously.

He could see Vandor was considering it, but after a moment it seemed the General knew better. Hissing in annoyance, the other man pushed away from the railing and disappeared down to the main deck. Darius watched him go with narrowed eyes. It was unlikely that Vandor had seen anything on the day of their departure, but the General was too intuitive for his own good.

Tsking in annoyance, Darius looked back out to sea.

I love you.

Those words, spoken so plainly and without expectation, had caught him completely off guard. He had been able to do nothing but stare dumbly as she had gazed up at him, her silver eyes startlingly bright in the morning sun. The kiss she had pressed upon him had lingered like a current on his lips, long after he had rode from Aether.