Chapter 37 | The Second Test

I'm back!

Apologies for the sudden hiatus - needless to say I absolutely 100% failed at delivering my Christmas promises this year (and after I did so well in 2020 too -sobs-) and I apologize for leaving you guys hanging!

However, my Christmas break ended up being very full of family and travel (more than I expected) and once I got on holiday I realized how burned out I actually was - a fact I'm sure lots of you can relate to :) As such, writing got put on the back burner - but I should have warned you in advance!

But now I am back, and of course I come with extra chapters to make it up to you, the first of which I am posting now :) The second should be posted shortly, and if I get through editing the rest I will either upload them tonight or tomorrow. After this, I am hoping to go back uploading on Sundays, starting this week!

After this chapter dump, we shouldn't actually be tooooo far away from reaching the end of Crimson King (and of course, the meeting you have all been waiting for). I hope you will look forward to it!

Much love,
Daisy

________________________________________

Chapter 37 | The Second Test

*

"I have licked the fire
and danced in the ashes
of every bridge I ever
burned. I fear no hell
from you."

- Nicole Lyons

*

IRIS

"It is my pleasure to stand before her Majesty. My name, is Sorin Vidarr."

Two things came to Iris's mind, upon hearing these words. The first, was that Vidarr was the name of one of the six Royal Houses- which meant that this ethereal man before her was not an air sprite at all- but in fact, a lycan.

The second, she spoke aloud- without really thinking.

"You have made a mistake. I am no Monarch," her eyes cooled rapidly, her tone equally displeased. "His Majesty stands behind me."

She stepped back, moving willing into the orbit of Darius's rage and away from the lycan whose violet eyes gleamed with a reverence that she did not understand.

Vidarr's expression unchanging, even with the clear animosity aimed in his direction. Iris thought that perhaps that was the most terrifying thing about him.

Darius seemed as though he was trying to restrain himself, but hostility was pouring off him in waves. Combined with the power of the King's will, which seemed to be leaking from him unconsciously, Iris felt her knees weaken despite knowing that his animosity was not aimed at her.

Still maintaining careful eye contact with the pale lycan, Iris moved back another step, further into Darius's side. Her fingers trembled a little as she reached out blindly to slip her arm into his. She felt him jolt at the contact, but she did not let go. She couldn't.

Despite her cool words, her bravado was nothing but a façade, borne from adrenaline and instinct. She wanted to find Arlo, but she felt that- if she looked away from Vidarr now- it would signal the beginning of something she wanted no part of.

Her grip on Darius's arm became vice like, her fingers digging into the material of his suit and finding the hard muscle beneath. He was quivering slightly; she could feel the tremors now that she was pressed into his side.
After a moment of inaction, he finally responded. His hand found hers smoothly, detaching it from his arm so that he could hold it firmly in his own.