Chapter 48 | Conflict

Hi Everyone, 

I realized that it was a bit dumb of me to expect to be able to stick to a schedule at the moment, so apologies for raising your expectations. I think this chapter was hard for me to write, because Iris is frustrated, and I am also frustrated, so it was just very frustrating lol. 

However here is the next chapter - unfortunately it is a little political, but here none the less. I hope it is okay x I expect things will begin to pick up again next chapter :) 

Much love,
Daisy 

_________________________

Chapter 48 | Conflict

*

"Your worst battle is
between what you
k n o w
and what you
f e e l'

- anon

*

BALTHAZAR

Iris sighed, closing her book with a snap.

Looking up from the scripture he was reading, Balthazar studied his charge. "Does something bother you, Princess?"

It was pointless question really. The old lycan knew precisely what was occupying her thoughts. He had been watching her frustration build for weeks.

Iris's response was delayed as she stared musingly out the window. Her fingers drummed an impatient rhythm on the spine of the hardcover, betraying her agitation. Balthazar waited patiently for the question he knew would come.

"It's been so long, why does he not call me to the meeting room again?"

"Are you referring to his Majesty?" Balthazar set the scripture down slowly.

"Who else."

Balthazar suppressed a smile. The irritation in her voice was all too clear now – however previously, this sort of passion had been absent from the Princess's eyes for far too long. Which was precisely why Darius had excluded her from anything to do with the war.

Initially sceptical of this route, Balthazar had contested his Majesty's choice. But Darius had been unwavering in his resolve– under no circumstances was the Princess to be involved in council meetings, until the time whereupon she protested the order.

"The meetings being held are related to the war," Balthazar told Iris curtly. "The Princess's knowledge is lacking in these areas." His comments, although harsh, were less criticism, and more a test of her resolve.

Darius had wanted her to push for it. He had wanted her to get angry.

She never would have stood for being ordered around before Arlo died, he had told Balthazar coldly. If she is to have any resolve as a pack leader, she must have the will to enter to meeting hall herself.

And it was there that Balthazar had to agree.

The Princess had changed since her guardian's death. Darius had sheltered her for a time, (still sheltered her), but his sudden obsession had thrown the council into turmoil. The King had always resisted the Silvon, Greyson bond. Had he finally succumbed? What did that mean for the Monarchy? Needless to say, none of the council had been happy.