Chapter 36 | Unwelcome Visitor

*

'What if the person you need
is the same person you
cannot speak to
when you need them
the most?'
- Nikita Gill

*

ZALAS

Zalas Ascain, the Crown Prince of Arcelia, was many things- but a party goer was not one of them.

Oh, he knew perfectly well how to conduct a pleasing exterior, to flatter, converse, and network with all the right people. But as to whether he felt like doing so? Well. It depended on the day.

However, as he reclined on a rich emerald divan with a glass of wine in hand, and surveyed the general splendour of the ball room, he decided that he had to give it to the Lycan King. For a man rumoured to be a beast, he sure knew how to throw a party.

"You look as though you are enjoying yourself." Opposite him, seated in equal luxury, was his uncle, Zephyr Ascain. With his ever present, benevolent smile, Zephyr was a tad more popular at parties than Zalas was. Which was why Zalas couldn't understand why his uncle had not just come alone.

"Aren't you glad you joined me?" As though reading his mind, Zephyr tilted his glass in Zalas direction, his pale eyes glittering with mirth.

Zalas threw him a disparaging look. "The evening is barely passable," he drawled. "The most entertaining character has already been absent for far too long."

It was only the two of them present currently- seated on the divans just below the throne. Zalas had left the Princess on the dancefloor with Prince Arlo some time ago now, and the curious council members had dispersed since his return. Darius himself had left a few minutes ago, with an expression like thunder, and Zalas hadn't cared to watch where he was going.

The General Vandor had vanished not long ago either, without giving explanation, and the only one remaining was the massive lion that seemed to be some sort of companion to the King. The beast was currently sprawled at the foot of the Kings throne like a furry golden rug, and although it's eyes were closed every now and then the tip of it's tail twitched slightly.

"You found her of interest too?" Zephyr said.

Zalas noticed the thoughtful expression on his uncle's face, and his eyes narrowed. "Yes, I did," he said shrewdly, "but it seems now, not in the same way as you. What do you know?"

"I don't know anything," Zephyr smiled mysteriously, "other than what has been previously omitted."

"Cryptic as ever," Zalas spat out derisively. He leaned back on the divan lazily, his pale eyes flickering around the opulent room as he pondered his uncles' words. "You spoke to Darius about her at the wedding?"

"He did not mention her."

Zalas's fingers drummed thoughtfully on the upholstery. "I see." He lifted his glass to his lips and took a sip. The wine from Aether was sweet, sweet, and rich, the colour a purple so dark it was almost black. It left a slight stain on Zalas's pale lips as he drank, and he wiped the residue from the corner of his mouth with his thumb absentmindedly.

Suddenly, a thought occurred to him. "Did that person ask about her?" He asked his uncle sharply.

A slight crease between Zephyr's eyebrows was the only indication of his uncle's displeasure. "I believe so," Zephyr said mildly, "although I did tell him to deal with his personal affairs away from my wedding."