Chapter 45 | Endure

Hi lovely people,
I am back from my unexpected break - as I mentioned on my profile and FB, I had some personal stuff come up that took priority. I'm still working through some stuff, so will keep you informed if another chapter is going to be delayed. 

Thankyou all for your kind words, messages, and patience,

I hope you enjoy the chapter, even though it's a little short. Much love,

Daisy 

____________________

Chapter 45 | Endure 

*

'I'm afraid of all I am,
my mind feels like
a foreign land.'

- (Arcade,
Duncan Laurence
)

*

DARIUS

When Darius told Iris that he had things to do, he had actually meant that he needed to deal with Gabriel – but he hadn't wanted to say that to her, least it cause her concern.

The fact that she had requested the general's presence only made the timing more convenient.

Meeting hall, twenty minutes, he conveyed curtly. There was a flurry of replies.

He, however turned and made a beeline for Gabriel's room, where the ex-general had been confined ever since dissolving his oath to the King. At the time, Darius had thought he might have to command the other lycan away from Iris- but Gabriel had willingly secluded himself, choosing instead to await the King's verdict. The move was tactical – and one that Darius respected- albeit grudgingly.

When he had recruited Gabriel into his army, the younger lycan had only been nineteen. He was still Darius's youngest general, and the pride of Lunex. Darius would be lying if he said that the loss of his general's loyalty hadn't been on his mind for the past few days. His generals were as close to him as Arlo had been- he did not take their opinions lightly.

Outwardly awkward and formal, and certainly never one to break protocol, Gabriel was the last lycan he had expected to critique him so harshly for his misjudgements- and certainly not to the point of breaking his pledge of allegiance.

'In accordance with Prince Arlo's wishes.'

That was what Gabriel had said, moments before renouncing his loyalty. Darius had not forgotten. And he wanted to know exactly what Arlo's 'wishes' had entailed. Clearly his brother had never intended to allow Iris to exist as a House on her own- but what Darius wanted to know was whether or not Gabriel had made the decision on his own, or because Arlo had commanded it so.

The former, Darius could deal with. The latter, he could not.

He had intended, originally, to eventually have Gabriel accompany the Princess as a political advisor. She would need someone she trusted at her side, to help her manoeuvre the council. It was why he had placed Gabriel at her side from the beginning. Most importantly, he trusted Gabriel as well. The Princess would be safe under the general's watchful eye.

However, the Princess did not need a lycan following her, whose loyalty was only influenced by the wishes of another. It was not true loyalty, and Darius highly doubted Iris would accept such a pledge.