Chapter 28 | Conceding Defeat

Hi guys!

New Chapter that didn't get uploaded last week due to writers block by me (yay). I had a tricky time writing this chapter.

Please read the AN at the end, because I don't want to spoil your reading with my thoughts.

Next Chapter is scheduled for release on Sunday 17th - it will be uploaded on time this time because I have pre-written it and its one of my favorite chapters <3 I have been waiting all year to share it with you!

Happy Reading,
Love Daisy x

_______________________

Chapter 28 | Conceding Defeat

*

"The truth is
some holes keep going.
Yawning, heady, one mistake becomes
three.
There is always a dark,
darker than the dark you know."

- Hala Alyan
(You're not the Girl in a Movie)

*

DARIUS

"They are waiting further round the coast. His ship should come into sight soon enough, I should think."

Zalas Ascain leant nonchalantly against the railing of the top deck of Darius's ship, looking for all the world as though he belonged there.

Beside Zalas, his brother Unabonan remained as impervious to the unfolding events as he had been ever since stepping on board.

Unabonan Ascain appeared, from a distance, to be an Air Sprite of similar stature to his brother. Upon closer inspection however, one would see that white scales coated his arms in the place of skin, and two pale horns curled elegantly out from underneath his long white hair. The cape on his shoulders was, moreover, not a cape at all- although the way the wings were so neatly folded created the illusion of such an accessory.

The dragon hybrid was leaning against the railing in a similar position to Zalas, his eyes closed in an arrogant display of carelessness. However, behind his legs, his long-scaled tail flicked occasionally from side to side, and Darius knew that Unabonan was not as disinterested as he looked.

Acknowledging Zalas with a grunt, Darius turned the wheel slightly to continue their current course around the coast of the small island the Prince had directed them towards.

"I still don't see why we should be going to him," Vandor hissed in disgust, "such an act is beneath you, Majesty. He is nothing but a pirate. If he wanted to challenge, then he should have come to you."

Vandor had made it back to the ship just before they had been set to depart, a little worse for wear, but cheerful none the less. Or at least he had been cheerful until he had set eyes on their guests and Darius had informed his General of the purpose for their visit.

Now Vandor had completely abandoned his flashy façade, reverting to the slovenly state he had been in before their arrival at the Water Kingdom- a sure sign that his General was unhappy with the current company. His gloves were still in place of course – but the greatest disrespect Vandor was capable of showing, (without inciting a command to behave from his King,) was to discard all formal appearances in order to express his distaste. Apparently, according to Vandor, nothing told the enemy they weren't worth your time more than refusing to present yourself respectfully.

An act he was currently doing with vehemence.

"Are you calling your King a coward, Vandor?" Darius asked dryly.