006. i just think it's funny

–YOU AND ME AT CHRISTMAS.

once their dancing had died down everyone broke off into their own small groups and stevie clung to her mother

once their dancing had died down everyone broke off into their own small groups and stevie clung to her mother. she instantly knew stevie was trying to avoid speaking to the boy across the room—and wasn't having a bar of it.

"why don't you and tom go and wait up in your bedroom until dinners ready?" penelope suggested.

"we're not ten—" she began, coming to a halt as her mother shot her daggers. "nevermind"

the pair walked up to the weissman girls' shared bedroom in awkward silence, tension so palpable stevie felt the pit in the bottom of her stomach growing with each step.

"wow, it really hasn't changed in here" tommy muttered, looking around the room. he stumbled across the same photograph stevie had been staring at constantly ever since she got back. "i still have my one of these"

"same" she replied quickly, instantly cringing.

"yeah, i know" he chuckled, raising his eyebrows at the girl "you follow freddie on instagram, right?"

"um, i'm pretty sure—why?"

"his hair—he's changed it a lot in the last few years, one time he botched the bleach job and had to go get it fixed at the salon and everything" he smirked at the memory of the boy's messed up hair.

"i'm not even surprised" a smile broke out on stevie's features, finally feeling a little bit more comfortable as she sat on the end of her bed. "i can't believe haven't seen it yet—my feeds so scuffed"

"here, i'll show you" he hesitantly sat beside her. he opened up instagram, and clicking on the search bar. stevie's eyes widened as she saw a familiar name in the boy's recent searches: danny percy.

"why were you stalking danny percy?" she scoffed, pointing it out as the boy next to her's face went bright read.

"the fuck? no—i literally like wasn't even stalking him! he was commenting weird shit on your post—i wanted to make sure he wasn't some—"

"he's just my friend, it's chill" she lied in annoyance, not wanting to talk about the boy from the U.S anymore, but the blatant lie and shift in stevie's mood startled tommy.

"good to know, you obviously have so many after your move" the boy was unamused—his words filled with so much passive aggression they caused stevie to do a double take.

"tommy," the brunette paused bluntly, trying to find the words, "if you have something to say, then say it."

"i just think it's funny you have all these new friends now, but couldn't be bothered to keep in contact with me—and freddie and eryn!" once he started he couldn't stop, his overwhelming emotions getting the better of him. "you literally just moved and changed and now you won't even tell me anything—"

"are you serious!? friendship is a two way street!—do you seriously think i chose to uproot my whole life and move to cali? i was adapting to moving to a new country when i was barely 10!" she took a deep breathe, shaking her head. "i was fucking overwhelmed! my life couldn't revolve around you, okay? i couldn't just keep talking to you through a screen, i needed real friends, and now i have them so you can—"

"—oh i get it, i just wasn't a real friend, thanks for the wake up call stephanie—guess i'll just leave you alone to spend some quality with your 3296 best friends" ouch. he hadn't called her stephanie to her face since they were 6.

"you're actually bringing followers into this? you're a fucking influencer now! you have a bunch of new friends and millions of fans who're all fucking obsessed with you!" she scoffed once again.

"at least i'm not some fake instagram slut now!" as soon as the words left his mouth his eyes widened. too far, tom.

he watched as steph's eyes began to water, who's wouldn't? her childhood best friend just called her a slut. she opened her mouth slightly and stared at the floor trying to keep herself from crying. "can you like, go?"

the blonde recalled the times he'd seen her cry before, she'd do the same thing with her jaw every time, a mechanism she used to try and stop herself from breaking into pieces.

"gladly" he doubled down, deciding he wouldn't let stevie and her stupid, adorable, stupid, stupid, stupid jaw thing guilt him into going back on his words.

"hey, dinners ready!" jemimah weissman called up the stairs, as steph just fought her body's initial instinct—throwing up.

steph and tommy arrived at the table like wounded puppies, their cheeks both dusted bright pink after such a fight. stephanie glued her eyes to her plate, fearing the second she looked up she'd catch tommy's eye.

jemimah was the only one who seemed to notice, as the parents talked and laughed loudly with one another. she let out a quiet sigh, watching her younger sister fight vigorously to hold back tears under tommy's subtle gaze. she pondered as she ate, wondering how she would help them fix things.

SOPH'S CORNER
just gave tommy's parents
random names that i am
definitely going to forget!!
but also i just wanted to say
thank y'all for 1k <3 kisses