001. for stevie weissman

–YOU AND ME AT CHRISTMAS.

december 2014

december 2014

it was finally that time of year again. everything in sight was covered in a fresh white powder, the houses draped in over the top flashing lights and the smell of earthy new christmas trees were filled the living room . it was the best time of year.

for stevie weissman, at least.

the girl's grandparents would either have delicious choc chip cookies or peppermint hot chocolates prepared every afternoon after school, her sister would open up to her a little more during the holiday season—and best of all, her parents' petty arguing would come to a halt.

this year was a little different, as the aforementioned petty arguing ended for good after their divorce.

before she could begin to digest said divorce, stevie's mother broke the news: after christmas they'd be moving to america, to start fresh once and for all.

she didn't completely hate the idea of moving, she always found change somewhat exciting. it was the premise she'd have to leave behind her best friends in the entire world that terrified her. stevie weissman was merely 10 years old, yet self aware enough to know she was surrounded by her people. it was already proving a difficult task to tell her friends, and she couldn't bare to break it to the boy next door—her best friend—tommy simons.

their families had always been close so it was inevitable that they'd grow up attached at the hip. christmas time had always been their favourite time of year and finally after years of begging, their families held a joint christmas celebration, so they could spend the day as one big happy family, (one last time).

as tommy and stevie sat at the dinner table with their christmas dinner, talking about video games and setting small, controlled fires in their backyards, everything should of felt perfect, but the brunette couldn't help feeling a crushing weight upon her chest.

stevie's grandfather, vince had always taken a liking to tommy. he'd longed for a son or grandson, and the simons boy was the closest thing he had. so as always he enlisted tommy to help him wash the dishes, as he recounted old stories from his youth. whilst she awaited tommy's return, stevie blatantly paced back and forth in front of her older sister—jemimah—giving her worried looks as she frowned solemnly.

"what's wrong, loser?" she finally looked up from her phone.

"how did you tell your friends you were moving?" stevie cocked her head.

"a group text." she stated bluntly.

"we're they sad?" stevie desperately tried to get anything helpful out of her older sister.

"well, yeah, but they're happy for me—they know i've never really been attached to nottingham, and they know we'll keep in touch"

"oh" she puffed her cheeks and sat down next to the fellow brunette.

"tom will be fine without you" she reassured her, all knowingly. "you'll miss each other—a lot—but it's not like you'll never see each other again, for now it's just important we do this with mum and give her support"

"i know." stevie started to tear up slightly.

"don't cry," jemimah sighed, shaking her head and giving her sister an awkward hug. "you just need to do it fast, like ripping off a band-aid."

"ouch." she muttered.

"it'll be easiest for him, why don't you go right now, he and pop are just finishing up," jemimah gave her a small shove.

"okay," she frowned once again, butterflies crawling around anxiously in her stomach.

"come on, you're so slow," stevie complained impatiently as they put their coats on. jemimah's words played on repeat in her head, 'rip it off fast, like a band-aid'

"where are we even going?" tommy wondered as he quickly tied his laces.

"be faster and you'll find out" she raised her eyebrows.

"yeah yeah"

stevie opened the front door with purpose, she could do this. she had planned to take him to the treehouse in the front yard, so she could finally tell him the truth, but the small girl could only manage a few steps before breaking down in tears, melting to the floor.

"i'm sorry—i'm so so sorry" she cried into her hands as the snow and wind blew harshly around them.

"stevie!" he ran to her side and tried his best to comfort her.

"i'm moving to america" she sobbed harder, "i was so excited, but then i realised you wouldn't be there too, and i think i'm gonna miss you so much i'll—explode"

"stevie, it's okay—i already knew" he put his hand on her shoulder, trying to calm her down.

"wh—what?" she stopped for a moment in shock.

"i heard my parents talking about it, i'm sorry i didn't mention it to you, i just didn't want it to be true—but now it is—and there's nothing we can do about it" he chose his words carefully to console her, and also attempt console himself.

"i'm sorry i didn't tell you first" she bit her lip.

"it's fine, we can still be best friends for like—ever! and like we'll talk on skype till 2 in the morning like we're online friends!" he sat on the floor leaning back against the front door, waving her over.

"yeah, i guess you're right" she nodded, obliging and sitting next to him.

"you're going to america" he nudged her excitedly.

she shed another tear, this time grateful to have him to help her look on the bright side. "promise we'll talk every single day?"

"promise" he held out his pinky, and she grabbed it with hers. they both let out a deep sigh, their breath visible in the cold. as they sat comfortable silence, a ten year old tommy hesitantly leant over and quickly kissed her forehead to further comfort her.

in that moment there was a flicker of hope for tommy and stevie, a beautiful spark fanned by their childish pinky promise. in the back of her mind she pushed away the fear he'd break the promise, along with her heart—but never in a million years did stevie imagine she would be the one that would shatter that promise into a million pieces.

SOPH'S CORNER?!!:!:&
i am so mf EXCITED!!! i hope
y'all enjoy this first chapter <3
i am deathly ill and just had a
nap but i just woke up in time
to post this heheh <333