002. 'family'

–YOU AND ME AT CHRISTMAS.

december 2021

december 2021

"holy shit" stephanie's jaw dropped as she entered her childhood home. it looked exactly the same. she got chills as she wandered through, everything looked exactly the same. 

"oh my darling girl!" her grandmother—melanie—gushed, as steph ran towards her and tightly hugged her. "i missed you, look how tall you've gotten!"

"yep! 5'10 now–told you i would be! it's literally the perfect height for volleyball" steph smiled proudly. she'd been back for barely 20 seconds and she already felt a strange sense of youth coming back to her. all her american friends saw her as the refined one, due to her accent and mature nature, but it was nice to be home and revert back to her childish ways. "is there any peppermint hot chocolate?"

"what do you take us for? fools?" her grandfather appeared holding a large cup, vaguely familiar from her childhood. "i hope we can finally find sometime to play that set you promised last time we visited"

"of course! although, i think volleyball'll be a little difficult in the snow" she held on to her grandfather, rocking him back and forth slightly.

"we'll figure that out as we go" he snickered.

melanie squealed at the sight of her daughter and eldest grandchild walking through the front door.

"mum!" penelope weissman squealed as she reunited with her mother after over 6 years of promising to visit home but always getting caught up with work, the girls social lives and their education. last time melanie and vince had visited the united states steph was knocked out with a cold the whole time and penelope was swamped at work.

nonetheless, they were here now.

"i cannot believe they haven't gotten rid of all our junk" jemimah wandered around steph and her's old bedroom. "this room is so, unlike me"

"i mean, you've grown a ton—i forgot how obsessed you were with one direction back then" steph snickered.

"well, i'd still die for harry styles, but i'm definitely not her anymore" she pointed at a polaroid from 2013, of her and a few friends, sloppily self tanned and covered in a full face of extremely cake-y makeup.

stephanie giggled at her older sister, she loved how close they'd become ever since they moved to america. the latter had grown out of her 'i'm a teenage girl so i have to be mean and standoffish all the time' phase, and into a fine young adult interested in all things sociology.

"oh my god! steph look" jemimah's hand slapped over her mouth as she pointed towards a photo frame.

steph's stomach dropped, as she picked up the frame, running her fingers along the cheesy plastic decorations and reading the word she'd messily written at the bottom: 'family'.

it was a horrendous picture of steph, tommy, eryn and freddie sitting on the front steps of her house, eating chocolate paddle pops. they somehow had the icecream smeared all over their faces, as they laughed hysterically over something stupid eryn said.

she remembered it all like it was yesterday.

"have you told him you're back?" jem raised an eyebrow, causing steph to bite her lip.

"no, not yet—but i will"

"he'll find out sooner or later, i'm surprised mum hasn't run over there herself yet" she chuckled, knowing her mother would make a fuss once she saw her old best friend.

"yeah" she frowned a little more, setting the frame back down where jemimah found it.

jem just nodded, flopping backwards onto her childhood bed, causing steph to follow. "i wanna move back here—once i'm done with uni"

"what?" steph turned to the girl with wide eyes.

"i feel like there's so many opportunities here, plus i miss the weather"

steph snickered at the comment. "you used to say you hated the weather"

"i know, but people change" she shrugged. "i grew up, so did you, so did mum. we're all different now"

"i guess you're right" she raised her eyebrows, moving her head and laying on her sister's shoulder, as they both let out a content sigh.

SOPH'S CORNER!
i have an unhealthy obsession
with giving my ocs iconic sisters
to guide them on the right path