CHAPTER TWELVE

Being in planes wasn't my thing, but I was happy I could control myself during those appalling hours on the plane. As the plane landed, I almost felt like throwing up. People walked past as hurriedly as we made our way to the checkpoint. I've been to four airports in my life as a teenager, but the city of California had a unique airport.

After being cross-checked by those officials at the airport, we made our way out, and after waiting for about twenty minutes, I saw a taxi approach us. I've never sat in a cab at an airport before, but I was compelled to sit in it as my brother and sister found it amusing. To my surprise, it wasn't exactly like the Ghanaian taxis I've been seeing. A fair lady with her hair almost on her buttocks hugged my sister. I had never seen my sister that happy before, but I ignored it. She sat in front since my siblings, and I occupied the back. The taxi pulled in front of a navy greenhouse with a small wooden gate. Getting down, I found my sister opening the door with a key, and it dawned on me that she'd been here before. I noticed my siblings' pictures hanging on the wall, entering the room. I turned to look at the woman again, taking in her features. I realized both my sister and I had our beauty from her.

"Tasha," she said softly. "I guess I have to do some introductions. I'm Betty Macdonalds, a wife to your dad, I mean an ex-wife and the mother of three of you." She directed me to the small hall, and a picture caught my eye. It was a picture of me asleep in my favorite nightgown.

"Where did you get that picture?" I asked, feeling lost. She stood beside me; taking my hands into hers, she gladly rubbed it.

"Your sister sent it to me, lovely, isn't it?" She asked with a lovely smile.

"Very lovely." My sister said behind us. "I remember the day you had her as you placed your nipple in her mouth, and she bit you with her toothless gum." My sister said, and both my mom and siblings burst into laughter.

"I was a kid. I didn't know I would hurt her; mum, I'm sorry." I apologized and realized that was the first time I had called someone "mum."

"Always sweet." My mum complimented me. "Jocelyn, take her belongings to her room." My mum ordered my sister using a name I'd never heard before.

"Joycelyn is called a star, but she hates being called that." My mum explained the look on my face in front of my sister, but she turned her face away. I looked puzzled.

"Why, what's wrong?" I asked my mum with my sister behind me. I had started to undress.

"Mum is a shy type, so you better go up there and get dressed." She gestured, her fingers pointing upstairs.

"I always dress with dad, you are aware, so why is she shy." I protested.

"You dress with your dad?" She asked silently.

"Yes, but not always. Each time I'm sad, I sleep with him on his bed, or he comes to my room." I explained. I saw a smile playing at the corners of her mouth. "He kept his promise." The words flew out of her lips.

"What promise?" Brian asked. He was in his shorts and a round-neck pink top. Gesturing us to sit on the sofa, she started.

"He promised he was going to make our last born the happiest person on earth. I guess he did that." She said, addressing me.

"Yeah, I think. I never knew you lived in California. I've been here once, but we arrived late, so I was carried by one of our bodyguards to the checkpoint." I explained.

"He is a nice man; gone were the days every girl wanted him, but he chose a poor girl with only an SSCE certificate."

"Do you hate him?" I found myself asking the dumbest question, but she smiled and answered. "No, I don't. I was only upset he was cheating with his ex-girlfriend." She explained.

"You mean Vida is his ex?" My sister asked almost in a voice like a bear. My mum nodded. "CRAP!" Brian exclaimed.

"Young man, language," Mum advised. He's just fond of her, but it's just that things got out of hand." She tried to explain when my face almost went pale.

"What will you eat?" My mum asked. "Anything, mum," I answered with a warm smile. Suddenly my phone started to ring.

"Hello, dad," I responded, and my brother gestured me to put the phone on a loudspeaker, to which I agreed.

"Hey, sweet pea, I hope you've settled guessing the time?"

"Yes, Dad, it's okay here."

"Don't give her problems," he waited for me to protest, but when I kept quiet, he continued. "She doesn't like someone dressing in front of her, unlike me, so don't do that." My brother now had his jaw dropped to the floor. Almost.

"I think I just did that; your call saved me," I confessed.

"Can I tell you something? I mean, I want to give you a message, so you extend it to your mum, can you?" He asked, and my mom urged forward.

"Yeah, sure."

"I miss her very much, but pride has left me behind. It's been sixteen years now since I heard her voice. Kindly persuade her to give me a call at least once." He was pleased, and I found my mother smiling.

"Okay, dad. I love you."

"I love you too." Extend my greetings to Joycelyn and Brian. I will call them tonight."

"Take care." With that, I hung up and turned to my mother, who now had her hands on her lips. She was a beautiful woman. My dad had good taste in women. Snapping at me with her fingers, she ushered me to the kitchen, where lunch had been served.

"This is all I could buy with my monthly salary; I'm sorry I couldn't afford much." She apologized. "It's okay. I'm eating all anyway, Star, serve me," I ordered my sister, making her slap me on my buttocks. "Ouch! That hurts." I pouted.

After lunch, I followed her to her room and slumped into the bed. Ignoring me, she pulled her wardrobe open and rampaged through the scattered clothes. She pulled her wallet from the clothes and counted the money in it. She sighed and sat beside me on the bed. Taking my hands into hers, she spoke. "I had wanted to take you to the cinema, but the money left in my wallet has deprived me of taking the three of you." I squeezed her hand affectionately and rested my head on her lap. "Can I call you mum?" She nodded with a soft smile that touched her eyes. "Mum, we can stay at home and watch a movie, or I can stay with you in your room." I calmly suggested.

"Do you want that?" She asked when I kept quiet; she continued, "I know your dad provides anything for you – "

"Yeah, he does, but mum, that doesn't mean I'm happy at home. I've never seen you before, this is my first, so can I rest on your laps?"

"Okay, sweetheart, rest on mum's laps." She said playfully, and I smiled brightly until everything turned black.

Thanks once again for reading. Today I'm doing a double update. I've been quite busy with work.