-Three-

TW: talk of nightmares, sad thoughts (grief)

Wilbur and I walked out of the study together, planning to go practice a song before dinner. Tommy, Tubbo, and Ranboo hurried to the castle gardens again,  saying something about catching bees and making flowers crowns.

Wilbur's expression was a mixture of happiness, sadness, and excitement. The sunset was a mixture of pink, blue and light tones of gray. Wilbur walked purposefully next to me, the waves of excitement practically rolling off him.

"Are you excited?" I asked. I could picture Techno, Tommy, and Wilbur playing in gardens and goofing off as little children did. Wilbur nodded, but then frowned.

"It's a little crazy I think, Ady" he started. "Techno's back, but he is so very different" he continued, sighing. I nodded.

"It's been a long time since you last saw him Wil, of course, he wouldn't be the same" I replied, not really sure if I was supposed to reply or not. Wilbur nodded quickly.

"Of course, I do understand that, but it's even the way he stands, he's filled with the confidence of a warrior " Wilbur mused. "I remember my brother, he used to wake up screaming and I'd comfort him" Wilbur stated. He looked deep in thought.

"Did he have nightmares as a child?" I asked, suddenly intrigued. I knew exactly how it felt, my own screams and cries waking up the castle. Wilbur nodded slowly as if recalling the memories.

"He was weak as a child, his mental health was decaying" Wilbur answered, looking sadly at the sunset. "Father would often have to stay with him at nights, leaving me to sleep with mother" he continued "He was sometimes completely silent and would stay in bed for days on end, but other times, I-I uh I could hear screams and Techno's sobbing" he stammered.

"You reminded me of him when you first arrived" he blurted out, startling me. "You were so brave, but at night, I heard you crying and screaming, father used to come into your room at night, just as he had with Techno" he explained, seeing the look on my face.

"Mother never could comfort Techno, having to explain the noise to Tommy and Tubbo, but she comforted you, even more so than father had" he added.

It was true, I'd wake up screaming and like Techno, there would be days where I would be too exhausted to leave my bed. Ranboo had been there for me, being one of the only few comforts at the time.

"Do you know if he gets the nightmares still?" I asked. Wilbur shrugged, crossing his arms tightly.

"We'll find out soon enough I suppose" he replied, his jaw set. I nodded stiffly. We arrived at the music room where Niki had set our instruments down, already somehow catching wind that we would be playing tonight. Wilbur sat down cross-legged atop a cushion, gesturing for me to do the same. I sat down, resting my back against a velvet sofa.

Wilbur tuned his guitar, the polished wood gleaming from the light. I opened my violin case carefully, unstrapping the velcro from the neck of the violin. I rested the violin at the nape of my neck, lifting my bow.

I met Wilbur's gaze.

"Are you not using the shoulder rest father gave you?" He asked, frowning. I took the violin from my neck, holding it upright on my thigh. He followed my actions, setting his guitar down.

"I couldn't bring myself to get used to it, my father had taught me that the violin was meant to hurt, for you to play it well" I answered, quoting my father's words. Wilbur nodded.

"I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up," he apologized. I shook my head.

"It's perfectly alright, you hadn't known" I replied. Wilbur nodded hesitantly, picking up the guitar again. I brought the violin back to my neck, adjusting my chin to fit comfortably.