A Tangled Web We Weave

Song: Family Line - Conan Gray

(A/N: Quick heads up that this chapter will contain flashbacks to Cleo's past, and therefore will be very heavy and potentially triggering. If any of the triggers listed below are an issue for you please don't read any of the italic parts in this chapter)

TW// SA, DE@TH, WE@APONS, VIOLENCE

Bellamy and I walked a little into the woods together to get away from the crowd.

He had suggested his tent, but quickly withdrew the suggestion after the look I gave him.

We found a log and sat down. I moved as far away from him as possible.

A beat of silence

"So," Bellamy started. "I need to apologise."

"No." I cut in, "I don't want your apology. I don't want to forgive you. I just need you to understand who I am so that I don't get burnt on a pire for witchcraft."

Bellamy flinched at my words, but then slowly nodded in acceptance.

"Okay. I'm listening. Whenever you're ready."

I took a deep breath, we were going to be here for a while.

✯¸.•'*¨'*•✿ ✿•*'¨*'•.¸✯

FIVE YEARS AGO

I got home from school and listened at the door to our apartment before entering. I could hear snores, so I assumed he was asleep and I quietly opened the door and tiptoed past him to my room.

I silently shut the door behind me and turned the lock, breathing a sigh of relief at the reassuring click.

I walked across my floor to the fifth plank from the cupboard, and pried it up, checking my gun was still there.

I did it every time I got back home from anywhere. It made me feel safe, even though I know I'll never be brave enough to use it.

After all, I don't even have the guts to when he.. well, I'm sure you can guess.

My door handle rattled and someone knocked loudly on my door. I jumped up quickly, letting the plank fall back into place.

"Did you put a lock on this door? Cleo? Cleopatra? Open the door."

My entire body began to shake, so severe I could barely stand.

"I- I'm studying right now!"

I yelled out, willing my knees to hold me up.

The voice turned venomous.

"Unlock the fucking door right now you little bitch."

Tears streamed down my cheeks.

"Just leave me alone you creep!"

I screamed at the door.

The rattling stopped.

"Now now, Cleo. I thought we'd talked about this."

The sickly sweet voice made me want to throw up.

"Every time you don't let me in, I just turn to your mother instead."

I heard him start to walk away, but he already knew he had won.

"Don't fucking touch her!"

My voice grew hysterical, I couldn't let him hurt her.