Grandfather

Song: Centuries- Fallout Boy

Kronos' army drew their swords and charged. Our archers shot down a few but they just kept coming, the hooves of their skeletal horses thundering on the pavement.

"Retreat!" Percy shouted back at us. "I'll hold them!"

The archers retreated, their bows and arrows would be of no use in close range anyway.

Annabeth and I stayed with Percy, the three of us fighting side by side as we were slowly forced to give up the bridge again.

The Titan lord's cavalry circled us, calling insults and slashing at us with swords. Kronos himself, however, advanced slowly, taking all the time in the world. Which, I guess he can do seeing as he's the Lord of Time.

I had to fight more carefully now that we were fighting demigods and not monsters. I watched Percy disintegrate a few skeletal horses and followed suit, sending a few enemies tumbling to the ground.

After a few more came crashing down, the demigods figured it was easier to dismount and fight us on foot.

Annabeth, Percy and I formed a triangle, fighting shoulder to shoulder and fending off demigods from every angle.

I saw a shadow flying above and risked a glance up.
Blackjack, Percy's horse, was circling overhead, swooping in every few seconds and kicking wherever was in reach, mainly heads and shoulders.

Getting into a rhythm, Percy, Annabeth, and I started pushing the army back again. We had reached the middle of the bridge when I heard Annabeth cry out.

Smashing the demigod I was fighting over the head with the hilt of my katana, I turned quickly to see what was wrong.

Annabeth had collapsed on the ground, a pool of blood forming underneath where she was clutching her arm. A demigod stood over her, holding a bloody knife. Judging by the positions they were in, I'm guessing he had intended to stab Percy, and Annabeth intercepted.

Oh, gods.

"Annabeth!" I dodged an incoming sword and rushed to her side.

In a fury, Percy locked eyes with the unfortunate demigod and slammed the hilt of his sword into his head so hard it dented the helmet.

"Get back!" He screamed, slashing his blade in a wide arc to ward off the surrounding demigods.
"No one touches her!"

"Interesting," Kronos said, holding his scythe in one hand as he towered over us on his skeletal horse.

"Bravely fought, Percy Jackson," he said. "But it's time to surrender, or the girl dies."

"Percy, don't," Annabeth groaned. Her shirt was already soaked with blood, despite my frantic attempts to staunch the wound.

"Hey, lay still, you're gonna be okay," I stroked Annabeth's hair and glanced hopelessly up at Percy.

Percy met my eyes before looking around frantically, it appeared he was considering Kronos' words.

"No, Percy, you can't," desperation creeping into my voice.

He looked up at the sky and his eyes lit up.

"Blackjack!" He yelled.

As fast as light, Blackjack swooped down to hover over Annabeth. I lifted her so he was able to clamp his teeth on her armour straps and fly away before the enemy had time to react.

Kronos snarled. "Someday soon I am going to make pegasus soup. But in the meantime.." He dismounted, scythe glittering dangerously. "I'll settle for another dead demigod."

Percy met Kronos' first attack with Riptide. The impact shook the entire bridge but he held his ground with gritted teeth.

I picked my katana off the ground and rushed forward in an attempt to help, forgetting to check my surroundings in the process.

An arm wrapped around my waist, lifting me into the air and another hand knocked my katana away from me.

Panicking, I closed my eyes, feeling a familiar tug of my gut before water knocked the demigod over the side of the bridge.

So focused on him, it was too late by the time I felt someone's presence behind me. A sharp pain stabbed through my head, and everything went black.

✯¸.•'*¨'*•✿ ✿•*'¨*'•.¸✯

I woke to voices.

They were arguing about something, but my ears were uncooperative in my attempt to properly listen.

I winced, shifting my weight from where I was resting up against something solid.

I was tied up, but at least I didn't have a blindfold on.

I opened my eyes to find the demigod that stabbed Annabeth staring down at me. Without his helmet, I could recognise him now. Ethan Nakamura, son of Nemesis.

"She's awake, Lord," He called back to Kronos who was talking to a few soldiers on the other side of the massive tent I was in.

Kronos dismissed the demigods and slowly walked over to me.

"Cleopatra Warren." He said.

"Grandfather," I replied with as much sarcasm as I could muster after being hit over the head.

Kronos eyed me with distaste. "Hasn't anyone ever taught you to respect your elders, child?" He spoke mockingly, a weak attempt at riling me.

"Well, yes," I said, making a show of considering his words. "But you only look about six years older than me. I don't think that counts as an elder."

Kronos snarled and stepped closer, drawing his scythe.

"If you're going to kill me, then please tell Percy this isn't his fault," I said, speaking quickly.
"He has a bad habit of blaming everything that goes wrong on himself and I would hate for him to have to live with this."

Kronos laughed. "Oh no, Mortal. I'm not going to kill you, at least not directly. That would be too easy."

"So what, then," my heart sped up and I prayed he couldn't hear it. "Torture?"

Kronos motioned for Ethan to pull me up so I was standing directly in front of him.

"Do you recall, Cleo, what I am the lord of?" He asked me, our faces now almost nose to nose.

"Time," I said.

"Correct. But what you probably didn't know, is that not only can I manipulate time, I can manipulate reality." He said, smiling.

I can tell you from experience that evil people smiling is never a good sign.

I could feel an anxiety attack coming on. What if he sent me to like, hell or something?
I forced myself to breathe deeply a few times before looking him in the eye.

"No matter what you do with me, I promise you right now, I will survive. If out of nothing more than pure spite."

"Well then, my dear granddaughter," Kronos met my gaze. "Sweet dreams."

The air swirled around me like a vortex, sucking away my breath. The world turned purple, and the last thing I saw as I was swallowed by a chasm, was the Lord of Time standing at the top, watching me as I fell, his gold eyes glowing brightly.

And then, for the second time that day, everything went black.