#1

Chapter 1

I felt the breeze around my cheeks, heard the noise of the cars passing behind me, when I opened my eyes and looked down the bridge I was standing on. My grip loosened a bit as I bowed forward, all that kept me from falling was the iron bars behind me. The ones I let go off slowly more, while starring down on the water beneath me.

It looks so peacefully, I thought.

The moonshine was reflecting on the water, sparkling softly like a thousand stars. I saw a fish jump up the air and a smile came over my face. I looked up to the sky and closed my eyes, leaning more forwards and loosening my grip bit by bit.

The smile was still on my face, as I felt my body calming down. All the pain and sorrow left my head and I felt... peace in my heart. This was it! I was finally going to die. Everything was finally going to end. I took a last deep breath before I let go of the bars.

Goodbye you cruel some world.

It felt like I was moving in slow-motion, when I fell frontally over. And when I suddenly got grabbed it felt like my arm got pulled out. I opened my eyes and saw my feet hanging in the air. The water was still sparkling beneath me but-

I stopped falling? Why?

I looked up and saw a man hanging over the iron bars, holding my hand and stopping me from falling.

Oh so you stopped me.

"Let me go" I said with no emotions at all. All I wanted was to just hit the water and die. "Let me talk to you first, if you don't like what I will say then jump. I won't stop you" I looked the man in the eye and thought for a moment. What can he possibly want enough to stop me? I have never seen him in my life before. "You'll let me jump if I don't like what you say?" I asked and the man nodded. "Promise" He reached out with his other hand and I starred at it. Why? Is this a trap? "Come on already, or I'll slip at some point" he said and I heard his shoes sliding over the sand on the ground. "Then let me go" I replied. "Either way you come up or I'll die with you" My eyes widened as I looked up to him in disbelieve. "Why would you do this?" I shouted and he started smiling softly.

"Because I want exactly what you do"

His world echoed in my head and as I kept looking at him, he started to slide downwards. "Now come on, grab my hand and listen to me" He was still smiling down on me and for some reason I felt I could trust him. So I reached out for his hand and he pulled me up till I could reach the iron bars. I climbed over them and fell on my knees.

I didn't make it

Was all I could think about. I felt the pain crawl up my stomach again, making its way to my throat and cutting off the air to breath. The noise came back along with the voices "No!" I shouted and buried my head in my hands. Tears came up my eyes, burning like fire when they rolled down my cheeks.

I felt a hand on my shoulder, warmth started to spread from the place his hand touched me. Driving the darkness away and I snapped for air. "Listen to me" The man said and I turned my head. He was standing behind me looking seriously down to me. "I want you to die with me" he said and I looked shocked at him. "Excuse me?" I couldn't believe what he just said. "You heard right" Suddenly his face changed, his eyes started glowing and he jumped up in the air. "I want you to commit a perfect double suicide with me!" He shouted happily and then went down into his knees next to me. "I have been searching for someone to die with, darling..." He took my hand "Would you like to enter the after world with me?"

"Are you insane?" I said and stood up. "That's what you wanted to tell me?" The man looked at me from his position on the ground and smiled. "I am very insane, so are you. Or why did you want to jump? Because life is so beautiful?" He got up and his smiled vanished. "I am offering you a death that isn't lonesome. Wouldn't you prefer to die alongside someone instead of all alone?"

"And what if I don't want that? What if I want to die alone?" I asked and the man threw his hands up in the air. "Ahhh maan that would be a shame. But as I said I wouldn't stop you" He stepped aside and pointed at the iron bars. "You either die alone now or you'll die alongside with me, in a perfect double suicide. The choice is yours"

"Why would I want to die with a stranger" I said and walked to the end of the bridge. "Because for the first time someone would understand your pain" I stopped and looked back to him. "You don't understand me" I replied and he smiled his fake smile again. "I do, but I didn't stop you to prove I get you. I stopped you so none of us would die alone but well-" he turned his back to me and winked me. "I see you have made your decision, I will see you in the afterlife" He said while starting to walk away.

So none of us would die alone, god damn it! I thought.

"Hey! You weirdo" I shouted and he stopped walking. "What is your name?" He turned around with a smirk on his face. "I'm Osamu Dazai and you are?" I turned away from the bridge and bowed respectfully. "Nice to meet you Dazai-san, my name is Saiko, just Saiko" he bowed as well and offered me his hand. "Will you come with me then Saiko-chan?"

I stopped in front of him and sighted "I guess so"

He smirked again and I took his hand.