[30] - goofus and sweater girl

Before we knew it, another three months passed since the incident with Y/N's dad and it was the day before graduation. So much had happened that year, it was so hard to believe we were so close to the finish line.

"There's a rumour going around that the beautiful girl arriving today might be the queen they've been waiting for," Y/N read aloud, closing the book in her hands before resting it beside her. She sighed before running her hands through my hair as I lay in her lap.

"Good book, huh?" I said, looking up at her.

She nodded, smiling brightly at me. "Just might be the best I've ever read."

"Told you." I took her hand in mine and kissed the back of it. "And just so you know, you're always going to be the queen of my Terabithia."

Y/N giggled. "That was so cheesy, Soobin."

"But you liked it."

"Says who?"

"Admit it—you like it when I'm cheesy."

Y/N tapped at her lip dramatically. "Hmm, do I, though?"

"That's it." I sat up from her lap and started tickling her, causing cackles and protests to leave her lips as she begged me to stop.

"Say it!" I said, continuing to tickle her. "Succumb to the cheesiness!"

"Never!" she shot back, still squirming and laughing from the tickles.

Eventually, we stopped and sat back up, Y/N resting her head on my shoulder as I rested my head on top of hers. We started to doze off until my phone started ringing loudly, shaking both of us awake, which caused Y/N to abruptly lift her head and it hit my chin.

"Oh my God, I'm so sorry," she said as I clutched my chin in pain. "Shit, are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine," I said, still rubbing at my throbbing chin. I reached over to answer the phone, saying flatly, "Hello?"

Beomgyu was on the other line. "Hey, Soobin. Did I catch you at a bad time?"

"No, your appearance was quite a delightful surprise," I said sarcastically and I could practically hear his eye roll.

"Tomorrow's graduation and all, so we're all heading to the park near your neighbourhood. You coming? Bring Y/N too."

"Sure. See you in a bit."

As I ended the call, Y/N looked at me curiously. "What's up?" she asked in regards to the phone call.

"The guys are all meeting up at the park and asked us to come since it's before grad and all. You up for it?"

"Yeah, lemme just grab my sweater."

I smiled at her as she slipped on the green sweater I'd given her on Christmas. Even though evenings could be chilly, it was still June, still pretty warm out. But Y/N never gave up the habit of wearing her sweaters and I couldn't say I minded. She always looked cute in them.

"Your sweater paws are always so adorable," I cooed at her, pinching her cheeks as she pouted.

The two of us walked to the park and we were met with all four of our friends rushing up to us as we did. We talked for a bit, laughing, recounting some memories, and we all ended up lying on the grass in a circle, staring up at the stars that started appearing, thinking about the future.

Yeonjun let out a low whistle. "Tomorrow's the big day, huh?"

"Not for us," Taehyun and Kai argued and the rest of us let out a, "We know."

"I'm going to miss Y/N so much!" Kai whined. The guys had all taken a liking to Y/N since she was fun and nice and kind of like their sister, but Kai especially. He had grown so attached to her as if she were his own flesh and blood.

"What about the rest of us?" Beomgyu protested, but I could see Kai sticking his tongue out from the corner of my eye.

"Nah," he quipped, "You guys are lame." We all let out whines at this, but Kai and Y/N only chuckled.

"I'll miss you too, goofus," she said to him. "All of you goofuses, actually."

I frowned, holding her hand tighter. "Hey, I thought you only called me goofus!"

"Hey, they're all goofuses, but you're my goofus," Y/N said back and I grinned before pulling her in for a kiss.

The others all let out groans of fake indignation and various remarks, like, "Ew!" and "Not again, lovebirds!" and "Get a room!" and "Right in front of my salad!" but we didn't care, simply laughing as we pulled away from one another.

Taehyun checked his phone as we all sat up, brushing off the grass from our clothes. "We should go, it's late. Plus, tomorrow's a big day for you all and you don't wanna be late."

We all nodded, deciding to part ways and that we'd see each other again tomorrow. Waving the others off, Y/N and I held hands again.

"Ready to go home?" I asked her and she smiled.

"Home," Y/N repeated as we walked. "You know, I just love saying that. I love it when you tell me that. I've lived in a house for eighteen years, but never truly a home. Not until I met you."

I smiled back at her. Y/N tended to start talking emotionally late at night, but I loved that about her. I loved that she had happy things to talk about now.

"It'll always be your home," I assured her. "Forever." Another thought slipped in my mind and I asked her, "By the way, when did you start liking me? I'm curious."

She chuckled. "Well, I think I kinda always did. At first, I thought that I liked you just because you were the first person to show me a sliver of care and I was confusing my feelings for what they weren't, but I soon learned. I didn't like you just because you saved me—I liked you because only you could. You didn't just get me out of my dad's house and give me a room to stay in. You showed me that some things in life could really be beautiful. You with your goofball attitude and funny habits and perfect smile." She then playfully hit my shoulder. "Fuck you, your cheesiness is rubbing off on me!"

We laughed and as we stepped up onto the porch of our house, I pulled her in for a hug, resting my head on top of hers.

"I love you, sweater girl."

She chuckled again. "I love you too, goofus."

THE END