[4] - late

As I entered math class the next day, I scanned the room for the sweater girl to return her notes to her as promised. She was a good note taker, I had realized the previous night, with nice handwriting and detailed, complete notes. I was lucky she was generous enough to give them to me—a complete stranger.

She hadn't arrived yet, so I just sat in my seat, but I started getting worried when class had already started and she still wasn't here. She was never late, as I had observed, but maybe I was just overreacting. We all had our days.

She came scurrying into the classroom thirty minutes after it had started. The teacher chastised her for tardiness and the sweater girl apologized quietly, keeping her head down as she settled into her seat.

I softly smiled at her as she passed by me, and somehow I was relieved she had shown up. I guess I was just used to seeing the large sweater-adorned girl sitting behind me every day.

She didn't return the smile—she didn't even look at me, really. She just sat down, keeping her head hung low, fiddling with the ends of her oversized sleeves. Her expression seemed worried or scared or something bad in general, and for some reason, that worried me too. Like I was obligated to fix it somehow.

I considered asking her if she was okay, but I didn't get the chance. As soon as class ended, she shot up from her seat and dashed out of the classroom so quickly that I didn't even see her leave.