[5] - everything's fine

The next day was more normal. She arrived on time and sat less fearfully, a more neutral appearance on her features. Still draped in a large sweater, however, but I didn't think that habit would go away any time soon. And I didn't really mind—it was kind of cute.

"Here are your notes," I told her, handing them back to her before the teacher entered the classroom. "I didn't get a chance to return them yesterday. And thanks again."

"It's okay," she said softly, taking the notes from me and filing them into her binder.

A few beats of silence passed by, but for some reason, I didn't turn back around and still kept facing her. Sighing, I felt anxious to ask, but I somehow found the courage to, "Yesterday...were you all right?"

Her eyes widened just a little, not very much, but enough so that I caught it. She then pasted on her normal expression again and answered, "Yeah, of course. Why wouldn't I be?"

I scratched my nape awkwardly. "I don't know, you just seemed...off. Then again, I don't really know you, so...Yeah."

She shook her head, giving me a tight-lipped smile. "Everything's fine. Really."

Something told me the smile she wore was forced and fake, but I believed her anyway, turning around as I began taking notes. Besides, what reason did I have to think she was lying?