[14] - apology

I decided my mother's advice was the only thing to follow right now—be her friend. Which, mind you, was my original plan anyway, but it made even more sense now than before. Considering how reserved Y/N seemed to be, befriending her—truly befriending her—could be a challenge, but it was one I was willing to take.

"Hi," I said to her as I always did when she entered math class.

"Hi," she replied as she always did when I greeted her.

I swallowed a lump in my throat and scratched the back of my neck. "Look, Y/N...I'm sorry."

Her brows knitted together a bit, indicating her confusion. "What for?"

"For prying," I admitted. "I didn't mean to make you feel uncomfortable by asking you all those questions. I'm sorry."

One corner of her mouth twitched upwards ever so slightly and for a moment I thought she'd smile, but she didn't. "Don't be. It's okay."

"Really, I am."

"Really, I know. It's fine."

I smiled slightly at her. "We're still friends, right?"

This time, she mustered a small smile. It was so small that if I hadn't been looking for it, I would've missed it.

"Yeah," she said. "We are."

I mentally pumped a fist at her words, thankful that this was a step in the right direction. "Awesome. Wanna sit together at lunch again?"

"Sure."

"Still in the library or would you prefer somewhere else?"

"The library is fine. It's quiet."

"The library it is then."