[26] - cherished gifts

After everyone had eaten to their stomachs' content, all the guests gathered in the living room to give me presents—which I was very excited for, I had to admit.

I had gotten clothes, books, and gift cards from my friends and family and then it was time for Y/N's gift.

I smiled at her as she walked towards me with a wrapped box in her hand, smiling back. She handed it to me and I opened it eagerly, sliding off the wrapping paper and opening the box.

I nearly gasped at what was inside—a 40th anniversary edition of my favourite book—Bridge to Terabithia—and signed by the author herself too.

"You probably didn't notice," she said, "but my dad got annoyed of me reading it and kind of...assaulted the book. Nothing too severe, just some small tears and crumpled pages, but I wanted to give you a new one. It is your favourite, after all."

"You even got it signed?" I asked her.

She nodded. "Mhm. Figured I should at least get you a nicer edition for your troubles, huh?"

She looked so sweet smiling at me like that in the navy blue sweater dress she was wearing, giving me her gift that I knew I would cherish forever, that I wanted to kiss her right there and then. But I didn't because embarrassment had swallowed me and I couldn't do such a thing in front of all these people. They'd tease me forever.

"Thank you," I said to her. "Thank you so much. I love it." I had almost said "I love you" by accident, but luckily, I'd caught myself.

"You're welcome." She smiled again before sitting back down.

Then it was time for my parents' gift. They always saved theirs for last since it was usually the best one, I had to admit, so I was eager to open it. My mother gave me a small blue gift bag with yellow tissue paper inside and I tossed aside the tissue paper to pull something out.

It was a mini photo album. I flipped through it to see a bunch of Polaroid photos taken of me, my friends, my family, and—

Y/N.

There was a whole page just dedicated to her photos. Some were of us with our friends, some of just her, and some were of the two of us. There was even the one taken that morning where she hugged me while we were in our pyjamas to say happy birthday. Next to it, there were two little handwritten notes in black pen.

One was in my mother's handwriting which said: Happy Birthday, Soobin! We love you so much—just as much as you love her. Break her heart and we break your bones, got it? Happy birthday, sweetheart! - Love, Mom and Dad 20XX

I blushed at the note. Luckily, I hadn't read it aloud. Then, I turned to read the other one which was in Y/N's handwriting. I hoped she had written it before my parents did so she didn't see what they wrote.

Happy birthday, Soobin! I hope you have a great birthday and so many more to come. Thanks for everything you've done for me. It means a lot. I hope my gift and this gift that your parents asked me to help out with made you happy. You've made me more happy than I've ever been. So thank you. - Love, Y/N 20XX

The note warmed my heart and I didn't realize I'd teared up until one of my uncles teased me for it. I quickly wiped them away and gave both my parents a hug.

"Thank you," I whispered in my mom's ear.

"Thank her," she corrected and I could tell she was talking about Y/N. "It was her idea. She said you gave her so many good memories that she wanted to make sure you had all of yours."

If I wasn't a tomato before then, I certainly was now. "I know, Mom," I said because I knew what she'd say next. "I'll tell her. Soon."

"You better."