[17] - secret detention texts

After the lunch bell rang, I begrudgingly made my way towards the detention hall, mentally cursing my math teacher. So what if we were passing notes? We were both generally good in class and at least we weren't interrupting anything. But I guessed not everyone thought that way.

I sighed before opening the door, seeing Y/N in the back row and deciding to take the seat adjacent to her.

I smiled sympathetically at her and she gave an equally weak one back. The detention monitor sat at his desk, scrolling on his phone as he seemed to not really care about the actual detention-receiving students in the room. With that in mind, I pretended to do homework and sent Y/N another note—a little ironic considering the reason we were here in the first place.

Sorry about this, I wrote. I was hoping we could sit in the library instead, but look where we ended up, huh?

This time, I saw her reaction and the same, small smile played at her lips. On the same piece of paper, she wrote something and handed it back to me.

It's fine, don't worry about it. And note passing again? Isn't this how we ended up in trouble?

As I read over the note, I realized something. Something had been clawing at my brain for a day or two and now was the perfect opportunity to obtain what I had been thinking about.

Well, if you'd prefer to be more discreet, why don't you give me your phone number? Then we can text instead.

I couldn't help the smirk that seized my mouth as a soft, breathy chuckle was released from hers. I thought she'd just brush it off and say "never mind" or something of the likes, but I couldn't believe my luck when I read over her note.

Okay, sly guy. Here it is: XXX-XXX-XXXX.

I smiled as I added her to my contacts, keeping my phone under the desk, and I sent her a text.

me:
Hey, it's Soobin

Y/N 📚🤍:
Hi, Soobin

me:
Sorry again that we got stuck here

Y/N 📚🤍:
You really need to stop apologizing

Y/N 📚🤍:
It's fine

Y/N 📚🤍:
Really

me:
I know but I can't help but feel guilty

Y/N 📚🤍:
Well, help it somehow

Y/N 📚🤍:
And what was it you wanted to give me at the library?

me:
Right, right

me:
Well, yesterday you shared your favourite book with me so today I wanted to share mine with you

me:
It's called "Bridge to Terabithia" and it's really lovely so I wanted you to have it

Before she could reply, I pulled out the book from my bag and handed it to her, watching carefully for her reaction. Her eyes widened a little as she traced a hand over the cover of the book and for once, I saw a true, genuine smile on her face. And this time, it wasn't so small.

Placing the book on the desk, she quickly grabbed her phone and started typing, so I did the same.

Y/N 📚🤍:
Oh, Soobin, you didn't have to do that

me:
I know

me:
I wanted to

me:
I wish I could buy you a new copy but for now my old one will have to do

Y/N 📚🤍:
I can't accept this, Soobin

me:
Why not?

Y/N 📚🤍:
I can't possibly take your favourite book away from you

me:
But I want you to have it

Y/N 📚🤍:
How about I just borrow it and return it to you when I'm done reading it?

Y/N 📚🤍:
Would that be okay?

me:
Okay

me:
Whatever makes you happy, Y/N :)

Y/N 📚🤍:
Thanks, Soobin

Y/N 📚🤍:
It means a lot to me

me:
You're welcome, Y/N