[21] - run away

I called her multiple times after that, but she didn't pick up. I even texted her and tried to get an address so I could find her, but there was no response. I was so terrified that something had happened to her.

I didn't even care about my afternoon classes. I dashed out of the school, passing by my friends who tried to stop me, though I didn't listen. I kept running and I had no idea where I was running to. I didn't know where she was.

But then a sudden memory came to light inside my head and I thought that maybe I should check Kai's neighbourhood first.

My fists curled at my sides as I ran, my chest heaving from lack of air. It felt like my insides were being ripped apart as I sprinted, but the pain in my heart at the thought of something happening to her hurt even more.

Soon, I approached the neighbourhood where Kai's house was and, sure enough, I heard the same screaming I had heard last time.

"You fucking bitch!" I heard the familiar voice yell. I heard some pounding noises and sobs and a pang hit my heart. "You can't do anything fucking right and now you play the fucking victim game and call for help like some stupid bitchass baby?! Who was that on the fucking phone, you bitch?! Who the fuck was it, Y/N?!"

As soon as I heard her name, all my senses went into overdrive. I desperately ran towards the house from where the sounds seemed to be originating and I banged on the door so many times my knuckles were throbbing.

"What the fuck do you want?!" was what I heard when the door opened and I faced a middle-aged man with bloody knuckles. He looked too much like Y/N, so I ultimately assumed the worst. Instead of replying, I pushed past him harshly—causing some expletives to emit from him at my expense—and searched for Y/N throughout the house.

"Y/N!" I called for her, my voice starting to strain into desperate tears as I feared that man might just burn me or her alive. "Y/N, it's me! Where are you? I'm here to help you!"

"Where the fuck do you think you're going, you asshole?!" the man screamed at me from a few rooms away, but he was fast approaching and my heart beat so loudly I could hear it drumming all throughout my body.

He was almost towards the room I was hiding in and I held my breath, waiting for my demise, when suddenly, I felt a tug at my sleeve and I nearly yelped in fear.

"S-Soobin!" Y/N whispered to me and I noticed her hiding in a little closet behind a bookcase. How she had moved the bookcase to get inside and then moved it back to cover it up again, I had no idea, but I was just grateful she was alive.

I quickly squeezed in next to her and helped her move the bookcase so we couldn't be seen. I heard the man stomp through the room, shout some more angry things, and then leave, unable to find us, though he didn't stop shouting and didn't stop looking for us.

I focused on Y/N instead, whispering, "Y/N, are you okay? Who was that? Did he hurt you? Do you—"

She threw herself into my arms and I cut myself off as she started to quietly sob. She clutched the fabric of my shirt so tightly, I thought it just might rip, but I didn't care. I was more concerned about her well-being.

I stroked her hair gently, trying to calm her down. "Hey, it's okay. I'm here. I'm right here. I won't let anyone hurt you."

She calmed down a bit, her heart beating a little less fast and her breathing regulating slightly. She wiped at her eyes, pulling away from my embrace. "Help me please, Soobin," she said in her weak, hushed voice. It sounded so fragile and easily broke my heart. "Please help me. Get me away from...here."

And that was all it took for me to shove the bookcase aside, eat a few punches from the angry man, and run away with Y/N.