Chapter 47

The days went by and the information rolled in piece by piece. At this point they were almost sure Conde had something to do with it. Francis, Mary, Catherine and Bash were in Francis's room discussing what to do about him.

"Can't we just try him in court?" Said Mary.

"We don't have enough evidence." Catherine replied.

"I can find evidence. Just tell me what you need." Bash offered. Catherine put her hand on his arm. She didn't want him sticking his neck out.

"No. He probably knows he's being watched. He won't leave anything solid for us to find." Francis explained.

"We should put him on the front lines. He'll have no choice but to fight for us. We'll surround him with our most loyal generals. If he makes any move to help the protestants, our generals will kill him on the spot. We'll simply say he died in battle." Said Catherine.

"But then no one will ever know he was a traitor." Said Mary.

"No. But it's the only way to get rid of him without losing our own heads." She explained. Francis thought on it a moment.

"It'll be done. We'll send him off tomorrow." He said and left the room. Catherine looked almost confused. She looked to Mary.

"Did he actually just take my advice?" She asked.

"I believe he did." Mary answered as she left. Catherine turned to Bash.

"Do you think he could finally be coming around?" She asked. He took her hands and held them to his chest.

"We can only hope." He said. She smiled.

The morning came and Catherine and Bash were making their way to the common room to be there when Francis sent Conde off.

"Matilda." Catherine said.

"Are we having an 80 year old?" He said sarcastically. Catherine rolled her eyes and they continued on.

"You'll have four of our best generals at your disposal." Francis told Conde just as Catherine and Bash entered.

"Are you sure you would want to entrust me with such an important task majesty?" He asked.

"You should be honored the king has chosen you to protect his household." Catherine said as she came in behind him. Conde looked toward her.

"Of course, your grace, and I am. It just seems an odd choice." He replied.

"Odd? Why?" She asked. He looked a bit at a loss for words. Catherine grinned a bit to herself. She knew by his reaction she'd been right.

"Just that you have so many loyal men to lead the march on the protestants. Why choose a man whose never led French troops before?" It was clear he worked up his answer as he said it.

"Because your my cousin. Who better to trust than family to protect family." Francis countered. Catherine gave him a look of pride at his smart answer. Conde had no answer. He was defeated.

"Of course, majesty. I will do my best to protect the crown." He said with a bow. Just then a messenger ran into the room. He looked disheveled and was gasping for air. He'd obviously been running for some time.

"Your Majesty. The protestants, they are coming. They are coming here. They brought troops, enough to breach the walls." he said between breaths.

"Dear God." said Catherine.

"It looks as though the front lines have come to us." said Francis. Bash turned to the guards.

"Take the King and his family. Make sure they are secured somewhere safe. Send whatever guards you don't need to the gates at once." he ordered.