Chapter 22

Things had been going smoothly, for the most part, since Diane left. Lord Narcisse had gone back home for awhile to tend to his property, Claude was behaving herself, or at least she was keeping her affairs to herself, which was as much as could possibly be asked of her.

Bash was in a meeting with Francis discussing some unrest in a neighboring town that Condé had just brought to his attention. Apparently, there was some real trouble there that needed to be dealt with right away. As they were speaking, Catherine entered the room.

"Ah, Louis, so good to see you again. What brings you?" She said.

"I'm afraid nothing good your grace. There seems to be trouble in the next town over." He said.

"It seems you only visit us when there's bad news." She pouted at him a bit.

"My apologies, I'll be sure to make my next visit a social one." He nodded his head toward her.

"We will have to send help out immediately." Francis said. "Bash. Do you think you'll have enough men to take care of the problem?" Catherine's eyes shot in Bash's direction.

"Yes. I believe so." He said trying to avoid Catherine's gaze, knowing exactly what she'd be thinking.

"Alright then, unless there are other concerns, you shall lead them out tomorrow morning." He said. He folded up a piece of paper he had in his hand and he and Condé left the room. Catherine waited until they were out if sight and then turned to Bash.

"What does he mean, you will lead them out? Your leaving?" She said in a hushed tone.

"I have to. It is my job. You know that." He said.

"Well, how long will you be gone?" She asked.

"I don't know. As long as it takes I suppose." Bash said.

"You don't know? Just how bad is this unrest?" She began to worry. He simply gave her a glance that said it was bad. "I see." She looked down at her feet.

"Catherine I..." he began.

"No. I...I understand. I should go." She said turning to leave. He started to say something but she just kept walking. She went back to her room. She sat at her desk and put her head in her hands. She was upset, more than she should be. 'What is wrong with me?' She thought. She'd not felt herself for the last few days and this had just made it all the more worse. She mentally cursed herself for being so emotional. It's not as though he wouldn't be back. She felt as though she was becoming far too codependent, or was she. She wasn't really sure. Her emotions were a mess.

After a few moments, Mary entered.

"Catherine, I was wondering if you could...are you alright?" She said noticing her troubled expression.

"Fine. I'm fine. What is it you needed my dear?" She said trying to compose herself.

"I...um was just going to... are you sure you're alright? You look upset about something." She said.

"Nonsense. What is it." She said. Mary was sure she wasn't OK, but didn't push any further.

"I was hoping you might have a word with Claude, she's been flirting with Lord Castleroy and it's starting to upset Greer, but if this is a bad time..." she said.

"No. No. It's fine. I'll speak with her. Though it probably won't do much good." She said.

"I appreciate it." She started to go but then turned. "Catherine if there is something the matter...I mean if you want to talk about it."

"Thank you." She said. Mary nodded and left.

Catherine did as Mary requested and talked to Claude. Claude had agreed to leave Castlroy alone but Catherine was unconvinced.