Chapter 14

When Bash woke, Catherine was still laying on his shoulder. She had his shirt rolled up and was running her fingers over his bandage with a worried look on her face.

"You know staring at it constantly isn't going to make it heal faster."  he said. She looked up at him a bit embarrassed she'd been caught. "Besides, it feels much better. Nothing to worry about."

"I wasn't staring. I was just checking to see if it stopped bleeding." she tried to cover. As she sat up. The edges of Bash's lips curled, but he decided not to push her.

"Speaking of healing. How's your ankle? Do you think you'll be able to make it. It's still a few hours to Paris." he asked as he slid over to examine it.

"It's still a bit mangled, but I can manage." she said.

"Mangled is right. I didn't know skin could turn that color." he said.

"I don't care if it falls off. I'm not staying in these woods one second longer than I have to." she said agitated. She started to stand.

"But how are you going to..." he began as she started limping off toward their bag. He stood and came up behind her and took her arm. "And you thought I was being stubborn." they exchanged glances. "Alright, I guess we'll just have to take it slow." he said.

They hobbled along for a few hours, taking short breaks every now and then. They only had a few miles left when Catherine's ankle decided it was time to give up.

"Bash...Bash I have to stop." she said sitting on a nearby rock. "I don't think I can go any further."

"That's okay, we can take a break." he said.

"No. I mean, I've had it, I can't. I've pushed myself a bit too hard." she explained.

"Damn. We are so close." he cursed kneeling down and looking at her ankle again. "You're right though. I think it looks worse than it did before."

"What are we supposed to do now? It's going to take days for me to be able to even limp on it again." she said. Bash looked up towards their destination, calculating how long it would take them to get there. He looked back at Catherine who was trying to stand again.

"Well, I suppose there's no choice in the matter." he said.

"What do you..." Bash interrupted her by swiftly picking her up.

"Look at that. I've swept you off your feet." he said.

"Please tell me you didn't just say that." she said sarcastically. He smiled.

"I'm afraid I did." he said. She rolled her eyes and changed the subject.

"It's still quite far. That's an awfully long time to be carrying someone." she said as he started walking.

"We'll just have to stop a little more often as that's all." he said. "Besides, I rather like the idea of having you in my arms all afternoon. Although, I'd prefer it to be in an entirely different position and with far less clothing."

"Honestly, Bash." she said making an annoyed face. He laughed.

"There's that face again." he said amused.

"You are the most..." she started but couldn't find the right words so she just shook her head.

"...the most handsome, talented, courageous..." he suggested. She laughed despite trying to be annoyed.

"All those things." she said more seriously. "And also irritating, stubborn...funny, kind, loving, everything I could want." He lifted her a bit in his arms so he could kiss her.

"Then I suppose you could add the most lucky as well." he said.

They kept on, stopping frequently, but moving steadily enough to make sure they would not be spending a third night in the wilderness. When they were finally close enough to see their destination Bash stopped for one last rest before trudging on the rest of the way. He put Catherine down and sat next to her. He pulled out his flask, took a swig and then handed it to Catherine.

"Well, there it is. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so from here." he looked over at her and lifted a hand to brush her hair out of her face. "In a way, it's a shame we have to go back to civilization." she laid her face into his palm. He leaned in slowly. "One more kiss before reality comes crashing back down on us?"

"You know you don't have to ask." she said as they leaned into each other. Her hands slowly found their way to his face as their kiss deepened. He pulled her in closer, not wanting to let go. They pulled apart slowly, breathing a bit hard. They sat for a moment, still in each others arms.

"I suppose we should get going. They'll be waiting on us." he said. She nodded and tried unsuccessfully to stand. "And there's the downside to wilderness life." he said stopping her from falling. "Come on." he picked her up again and they made their way to the château where the nobles would be gathered.