Chapter 45

The carriage finally pulled up to the castle after hours of travel. The watchmen sounded the horn to alert the court to their arrival. Francis and Mary went to meet them right away. They got to the gate just as Bash was getting out of the carriage.

"Bash, what on earth do you think you're doing back so soon?" Francis said, irritated.

"We didn't have much of a choice, Francis." he said while he was helping Catherine out behind him. When Catherine emerged, Francis took a sharp breath in. He hadn't expected, despite knowing about it for awhile, to see her so far along yet. Suddenly, the reality of the situation came crashing down on him.

"Well, look at you." Mary said greeting her with a quick hug.

"How could you not look at me? I'm the size of an elephant." Catherine said sarcastically.

"Oh, would you stop that?" Bash said. Catherine rolled her eyes.

"No one has answered my question." Francis interjected.

"When the baby started moving we decided to see a physician again, just as a precaution." Catherine said.

"He told her the longer she waited the more dangerous it would be to travel. So we had no choice but to come back now." Bash added. Francis was about to say something but Catherine held up her hand to stop him.

"Francis please don't start. I am far to tired to go through all the minutiae of your exceedingly long list of problems with my marriage." She said.

"You do look a bit pale. You should rest." Mary interjected.

As they started to make their way back inside, two horses came galloping up to the gate. The four of them stopped dead in their tracks. It was the Duke of Guise and his brother the Cardinal.

"Well this can't be good." Catherine mused, only loud enough for the other three to hear. She side eyed Mary, who returned her gaze in silent conversation. The Duke and the Cardinal approached them and bowed.

"Your majesty. We need to have a word. In private." Said the Duke.

The six of them filed into the war room and locked the door behind them.

"What us this all about?" Francis demanded. The Duke pulled out a letter.

"Through a network of informers, I received some talk of a plot being hatched by the protestants. I didn't know how accurate it might be so I called in my brother here to look into it." Said the Cardinal.

"I used my many connections and I found out that they are going to try to abduct you. Much of their plan is in this letter." Finished the Duke. Francis took the letter from him and read it quickly.

"It's true." He handed the letter to Mary, who in turn read it and passed it to Catherine.

"Luckily, they don't know that we know. We have time. We need to get you to safety. Somewhere more defensible than the castle. It would be far too easy for them to breach these walls." Said the Duke.

"Where could we go?" Bash asked.

"Amboise." Catherine suggested. "It's enclosed above the river." The Duke nodded.

"You should be a strategist." Said the Duke.

"A Queen is a strategist." She replied.

"How do I know I can trust you?" Asked Francis.

"Because the other part of their plan includes arresting me and my brother." Said the Duke.

"The enemy of my enemy..." added the Cardinal. 

"Yes I understand." Francis pleaded with his eyes for him not to finish his sentence.

"We will help each other then. But I warn you uncle, if you betray us, you will live to regret it." Mary said. The Duke nodded and he and the Cardinal began to leave the room.

"We should leave as soon as possible." He said as he left.

"You and Mary should go today. Catherine and I can follow later, after she's rested some." Bash said to Francis.

"No you can't. Read the whole letter Bash. They want her too." He said handing him the letter and leaving. He read the letter and swallowed hard.

"No." He said. Fear in his voice. "You can't...It's too dangerous. We just got back..." Catherine touched his arm.

"We don't have a choice." She said gently.

"I'm so sick of not having a choice." He said storming out, equal parts upset and angry. Catherine closed her eyes momentarily, trying to keep from getting upset too. Mary put an arm around her shoulders.

"It'll be alright." She said simply.

They gathered their things and set off for Amboise. Francis, Mary, Catherine and Bash went in one carriage and the children and Mary's ladies in another. The rest of the court would follow later. As the ride went on, Catherine looked worse. At this point, she could barely keep her eyes open, and she was white as a ghost. She slowly started leaning forward as if she were about to pass out, but then sat back up.

"Catherine, you should try to get some rest." Bash said, putting an arm around her.

"Rest? How am I supposed to rest when our driver feels the need TO HIT EVERY HOLE IN THE ROAD!" she raised her voice at the end so the driver could hear her.

"You should at least try." Mary said. "You look exhausted." Bash pulled her in so she could rest her head on his chest. He kissed the top of her head.

"Just close your eyes." he said. Francis made a point to look out the window. Mary sighed and looked at Bash apologetically.  

Catherine drifted in and out of sleep through the whole ride. When they finally arrived at Amboise, Bash woke her. The others were already out of the carriage as she slowly climbed out. They were greeted by servants who took their things inside for them.

"We shall ready your room at once your majesty." one of them said to Mary.

"No. Please. Ready the Queen Mother's room first. She needs to rest." she said.

"Yes. Of course your majesty." replied the servant. Catherine hung on Bash's arm as they entered. Her feet dragging as she walked. She was completely drained. Half way to their room she started to loose her footing, but Bash caught her.

"Catherine!" he shouted.

"I'm alright. I just need to lie down. That's all." she assured. Bash picked her up and carried her the rest of the way to the room. He sat her down and helped her take off her cape. She laid down on the bed.

"I'll go start a fire. Then I'll have them bring you something to eat. You hardly ate anything all day." he said. She nodded. He turned to the fire place and started building the fire. "You must be famished. What would you like me to..." he began as he turned back around to see her sound asleep already. He sighed and went to her side. He took off her crown and her hair pins, and pulled the blanket up over her. He smoothed back her hair and looked at her for just a moment and then took off his own jacket. Laying down beside her, he put his arm around her. He prayed that this would all be okay and then he fell asleep as well.