Chapter 15

Finally, worn and tired, they reached the château. Bash put Catherine down as they arrived at a guarded, closed gate.

"Who goes there?" Asked the guard.

"My name is Sebastian de Poitiers. I am escorting the Queen Mother, Catherine de Medici. They should be expecting us inside." Bash said gesturing to Catherine. The guard looked at her.

"A bit raggedy to be royalty aren't you? Even defunct royalty. And why don't you have any guards?" said the guard looking unimpressed.

"Defunct? Why you..." Catherine said heatedly as she stepped forward. Bash put a hand on her shoulder.

"Our carriage was overturned in the forest. We lost our guards and our horses. We were forced to walk the rest of the way and were attacked by bandits. You'd be a bit raggedy too." He answered. The guard still looked unbelieving.

"Likely story, but I'm not falling for it. Folks like you try to pull stunts like this all the time. The Queen Mother indeed. As If she'd be escorted by her dead husbands bastard." He laughed "Your probably just thieves looking for an easy take." He said. Catherine's eyes widened with anger. She was a second away from shoving the crossbow up his...Bash eyed her knowingly and she decided against it.

"Perhaps this will convince you." Catherine said digging into her pocket. The guard still laughing. "My seal." She held it out so he could see it. The guards stopped laughing immediately and his face suddenly looked panicked.

"Your grace. My apologies. I beg your forgiveness." He said bowing down frantically.

"Oh, do get up. It's no use trying to salvage your dignity. Your just lucky I'm too tired to deal with you. Now, if you'll let me inside. I've been sleeping in the woods for two days." She said irritated.

"Yes, your grace. Of course. Shall I announce you?" The guard asked as he unlocked the gate.

"Obviously, as we don't want anyone else thinking we're thieves, now do we?" She said curtly as she started through the door, trying to pretend like her ankle no longer bothered her. The guard swallowed hard, not sure if he should respond. He went to say something and Bash held up a hand to stop him.

"I wouldn't." He said. The guard nodded.

They proceeded inside where they found the meeting already in session. Despite her injury and disheveled appearance, she commanded the attention of the room. She stood up and spoke with the nobles like a king would. Bash watched from the corner as she explained things to the men in the room. He was in awe of her. He would dare any man to chance an argument with Catherine. She would burry them all with their own words.

When the meeting was over. One of the dukes walked over to Catherine, Bash still in the corner watching.

"Your grace, my condolences on the loss of your guards and also my apologies on the terrible manners of mine." He said as he bowed his head. "I do hope you don't hold it against me."

"Not at all, it's already forgotten." She said turning to face him.

"Good, good. Well. We will be having a small feast later this evening and I'm sure you would like to rest and get cleaned up. I have a room prepared for you and I'm sure I can get a physician in to better aid that injury of yours. Also, there should be some room in the guards quarters for your escort to rest as well." He said.

"The guards quarters? You do realize this is the king's brother. I don't think he would take kindly to you shoving him in a dark corner with the peasants after he just spent two days in the woods, risking his life to keep me safe. Do you?" She said even toned. The duke searched for something to say.