Chapter 32

Nearly a week had passed, and Catherine was busy planning Claude's wedding. She was running around spouting orders and generally scaring the crap out of everyone. So it was businesses as usual.

"I said lavender. Does this look like lavender?" She said holding up a table cloth. The servant looked confused. "Take it back and have them make new ones. And wipe that ridiculous look off your face." The servant bowed her head and left. Just then Mary walked in.

"Well, I see the wedding plans are progressing nicely." she said looking around the room.

"Nicely? You must be joking. These imbeciles can't get anything right. Even the simplest of tasks. Just look at this."she said holding up a candle. Mary looked at a moment.

"What's wrong with it?" she asked.

"I said I wanted six inch tapers. This is clearly only five and a half." she said dropping onto a nearby table.

"Clearly." she said sarcastically. "Well, please let me know if you need any help."

"Thank you, but unless you know how to put brains in these people's heads, I think I can handle it my dear." she looked up to see some servants bringing in another table. "Don't put that there!" she took off toward them. Mary tried not to laugh, as Bash entered behind her.

"Well, things look like they're going well." he said.

"Don't say that to Catherine. Apparently it's a disaster." she said as they watched her argue with another servant. Bash laughed.

"I don't know why she lets these silly things bother her." he said.

"I don't know either, but I suppose she wouldn't be her if she didn't." Mary said and the silently left the room. Bash walked up to Catherine carefully.

"Catherine, maybe you should allow someone else to take care of all this. You shouldn't be over exerting yourself." he said quietly.

"Don't be absurd. These twits couldn't do anything without my direction...Besides I feel fine." she said picking up some silverware and examining it. She frowned and slammed it on the table with a grumble.

"You felt fine just before you passed out last time too. I just think you should be careful." he said.

"I appreciate your worrying, but I am fine. Really." she said continuing her inspection.

"You wouldn't be lying to me would you?." he asked.

"Of course not." she said, barely paying attention. Bash wasn't entirely satisfied with her answer, but knew he wouldn't be getting much more out of her at the moment. He decided he'd try again when she wasn't so preoccupied. He walked away, leaving her to the party planning.

That night, Bash came to Catherine's room. Catherine was sitting in front of her mirror, taking out her hair pins.

"So, how did the rest of the wedding planing go?" he asked. She turned in her chair to look at him.

"Terribly. How does one hear crystal when I said silver goblets? And Claude is nowhere to be found. How am I supposed to get her dress fitted if she's not here?" she said.

"I'm sorry I asked." he mumbled to himself. "Perhaps you should forget about all that for now and try to keep from getting frantic." he said putting a hand on her shoulder. She sighed.

"You really do worry too much." she said.

"Maybe you don't worry enough." he kneeled down in front of her and took her hands. "I don't want what happened at the church to happen again. Next time you might not bounce back from it so easily." she removed one of her hands from his grasp and ran her fingers through his hair.

"Oh, Bash, you have to stop treating me as though I'll drop at the first sign of conflict. I know you're worried, and I suppose I am too, but you have to let me live." she said.

"Not if 'letting you live' means letting you die." he said rubbing her fingers.

"Suppose I do die." Bash's face became worried. "I don't mean to be morbid, but what if I do. Then I will have spent my last days making myself a nervous wreck, and who does that help? Shouldn't we just try to live as normal as possible?"

"You're right. I know you are...but it won't leave my mind." he said putting a hand on her stomach. She put her hand under his chin and raised it so she could kiss him.

"Perhaps if you were to concentrate on something else." he smiled and kissed her again. Then he picked her up and carried her to the bed.

A few more days had passed, and Catherine finally dragged Claude in to have her dress fitted. They were in her room as the seamstress finished up her measurements.

"There, now was that so difficult? It took her all of ten minutes." Catherine said. Claude rolled her eyes. The seamstress gathered her things and started to go, and then Mary entered.

"Catherine, there are some florists here to see you."she said.

"Well, it's about time. Claude, come. I need you to help decide." she said.

"Can't you just take care if it?" Claude whined.

"Why are you fighting me at every turn? I thought you said you were okay with this match?" Catherine asked.

"It's not the match that bothers me. I just don't know if I'm ready to leave yet. I just came home." she said. Catherine was taken by surprise at her answer.

"You've done nothing but drive me crazy since you came back, why would you do that if you wanted to stay?" she asked.

"I don't know...I suppose because you make it so easy." Catherine made an angry face at her. "See. Besides, if I leave now, I'll never get to meet my new brother or sister." Catherine and Mary were both shocked.

"How...how did you..." Catherine started.

"Mother, you were pregnant six times after me. I've come to know the signs." Catherine looked at Mary a bit panicked. "Relax, I'm not going to tell anyone. Although, you'd think you and Bash would've let it be known by now. I mean, your already getting a little pudgy. Can't hide it forever."

"Pudgy? I..." Catherine turned to Mary, ready to kill. "I don't even know what to say to her anymore. I give up."  she threw her hands up in frustration.

"Maybe you should just be glad she's one less person to be upset with you, and let it go." Mary said into her ear as she grabbed her arm. Catherine forced a fake smile

"You do realize I can hear you, right?" Claude said. Catherine gritted her teeth.

"Why don't we just go see to the flowers." said Mary said taking Catherine by the shoulders and turning her toward the door, as her face was frozen in expression that was a mix of anger and bewilderment.

"Thank god for this wedding." She said as soon as they were out the door.