Chapter 13

With the point of the sword mere inches from his face, Bash's eyes glanced around as carefully as possible to access the situation. Four men, swords pulled, all pointed at him.

'Wait. Where's Catherine?' he thought. He didn't see her anywhere. A quick wave if panic swept over him, but he didn't let it show.

"Now, gentleman I'm sure there's no need for weapons." he said still scanning the area with his eyes.

"Who were you talking to?" said the man with the sword at his face. Bash felt a small bit of relief realizing they hadn't seen Catherine, but where'd she go?

"Me? No one. I was talking to myself. Just making a mental note you know." he said.

Catherine happened to be hiding behind the same bush they were previously sitting under. She only just barely escaped behind it, not having a chance to warn Bash. She was watching and aiming the crossbow waiting for the right shot. 'Come on, move over.' she thought as she pointed it at the same man who was currently speaking to Bash.

"You know, somehow I don't believe you." the man said. "Take his bag." he added motioning to one of the other men. Just as the second man moved forward, Catherine let loose the arrow, sticking both men through the neck. Bash pulled his sword as the third man came running at him. The fourth finding and pulling Catherine from the bushes. Bash fought his attacker, he was a good opponent, but Bash took him down, only to realize the remaining bandit had Catherine with a knife at her neck. Bash stayed very still.

"Drop the sword or the woman dies." he said. Bash did as he said.

"If you harm a hair on her head, I'll make sure you join your friends." he said sternly.

"I don't think you're in a position to threaten me." he retorted. Bash exchanged a look with Catherine.

"I'm in the perfect position to threaten you. You hurt her. You die. You let her go however, and maybe we can discuss me letting you live. It's really very simple." he said not backing down. Then the man tightened his grip and took a step back tripping just slightly on the crossbow that Catherine dropped. Bash took the opportunity to go after him. He grabbed the arm holding the knife as the man dropped Catherine. Bash struggled with him, the knifed hand traveling back and fourth between them. Catherine scrambled to get up, which was difficult because she'd injured her ankle in the fall. She picked up Bash's sword. The man had Bash on his back.

"Bash!" she yelled sliding it to him. He reached his arm out and with one swift movement, he grabbed the sword, swung it around, and sliced right through his arm. The man fell backward and Bash finished him. He caught his breath and immediately ran to Catherine who was still kneeling on the ground. He kneeled next her and embraced her. She settled into his arms, both breathing hard. She pulled away little when she felt something wet and sticky between them. She looked down to see a gash across Bash's front, just below his chest.

"Bash you're hurt." she said worried.

"It's not as bad as it looks. I barely feel it. Are you alright?" he asked, hands roaming over her checking for injuries.

"Mostly, though I think I did something to my ankle when he dropped me." she told him while she sat down and set her foot forward. Bash went to pick it up and she winced.

"Well, I don't think it's broken, but it is a bit of a mess." he said. He noticed the two bandits with the arrow through there necks. "You really are good." she let out a breath. "Come on. You should let me wrap that." He helped her up and half carried her to sit on a nearby rock. He took some cloth from their bag and tore it into strips and wrapped them firmly around her foot and ankle. Then he pulled out an extra pair of his boots.

"You'll have to try to walk in these. That foot's never going to fit in yours." he said. He helped her put them on and looked up at the sky."Also I'm afraid waiting all that time cost us. And with your ankle in its current condition, we are probably going to have to make camp again." she groaned."I know." he said putting a hand on her shoulder. "Come on, let's get away from here first." he helped her up again, letting her lean on him as they went.

After they had walked a bit, Catherine noticed Bash was obviously in more pain than he let on.

"Bash, I think we should stop." she said.

"Has your ankle had enough?" he asked.

"Not just yet but I think you might have." she said.

"That's silly. I'm fine." he said. She turned and aggressively grabbed his jacket, opening it to see his wound better. It had obviously bled quite a bit. It didn't look good.

"Bash, you hard headed fool. What were you thinking? You should have told me how bad it was." she said.

"I didn't want to worry you." he said "Besides, we needed to make some distance..."

"Enough. We are stopping to dress that wound immediately." she interjected. He looked at her defeated.

"Alright, fine, I suppose we might as well just make camp here then. By the time we got moving again, it would be late anyway."

Catherine laid out their things while Bash started a fire. When they were done they sat in front of the fire and Bash removed his jacket. Catherine started to help him off with his shirt.

"If you just wanted me to take off my clothes, all you had to do was ask." he joked. Catherine tilted her head in annoyance.

"This isn't funny. This could have been serious if you'd let it go any longer. It already looks bad as it is." she said pulling a flask from her bag and tearing Bash's shirt. She threw the bloody parts into the fire and picked another a piece up and pouring some of the contents of the flask on it. She started dabbing the wound carefully with the bit of cloth, her other hand on his chest. Bash flinched for a moment but then eased a bit under her gentle touch. He watched every move she made. He thought for a moment that it was almost worth getting wounded, until she added more alcohol to it.

"Ahhh! Was that necessary?" he said wincing.

"No, actually. That was for lying to me." she said flatly, tossing the cloth to the side and picking up the rest of the shirt scraps to bandage it with.

"I'll be sure not to do that again." He said as she started wrapping the remnants around his chest.

"You'd better not." she warned first looking mad but then smiling and kissing him. He lifted her chin and looked in her eyes.

"I promise." he breathed out. He brought his other hand up so that both were cupping her face and kissed her again. She carefully put her arms around his back as they explored each others mouths.  She pulled him closer and he winced again. She pulled back.

"Sorry." she said.

"Completely worth the pain." he said smiling. She smiled back and turned to their bag and pulled out another shirt for him.

"Here. It's far to cold out here to go without a shirt." she said handing it to him.

"Or maybe you could just keep me warm." he said grinning.

"Bash..." she started.

"You can't blame a man for trying." he said taking the shirt. She shook her head. He put it on, followed by his jacket. He laid down and let out a sigh. Catherine moved to lay down next to him settling her head on his shoulder.

"Once we get out of here, I am never coming near these woods ever again." she said.

"I don't know what you're afraid of. You just survived wolves, bandits and a horribly burnt rabbit dinner. I think you could take on any obstacle this forest can give." he said.

"Only with you by my side." she said as he started running his fingers over her hair. She smiled.

They rested awhile, and then talked until they fell asleep in each other's arms once more.