Chapter 33

The day of Claude's wedding had arrived and the castle was abuzz with excitement. Servants were running here and there preparing. Catherine, Mary, Greer and some other ladies and servants were in Claude's room helping her get ready.

"Mother, must I really have half the castle hold up in my chambers?" Claude whined.

"There are four servants here. That is hardly half the castle." she said as she held various pieces of jewelry up by Claude's face to see how they'd look.

"Still, it's completely unnecessary." she said.

"Very well." Catherine looked to the servants. "You're dismissed." she turned back to Claude. "Better?"

"I didn't say I wanted them to leave." Claude replied. Catherine pursed her lips.

"Must everything be a struggle with you?" she asked, frustrated.

"I could ask you the same thing." she said. Catherine looked at Mary. She tried to change the subject.

"I think these will work perfectly." said Mary, holding up a pair of earrings. Claude shrugged and put them on. Catherine looked at Mary again as if to thank her. Mary smiled a bit.

Later, as the guests gathered, awaiting the ceremony to start, Bash and Catherine took opposite sides of the isle. Francis and Mary joined Catherine. Mary's ladies were on the side with Bash. He looked at Kenna awkwardly, wishing he could move, but the crowd was too thick on either side of him. The Duke made his way to the front of the isle to await his bride. As the procession started, all eyes turned toward the bride. They all watched as she made her way to the altar. Catherine wasn't sure how to feel. She wanted to be happy, but somehow she just wasn't. It was too late to change her mind however, so she plastered on a fake smile. When they began their vows, Bash couldn't help but look to Catherine. He smiled at her, thinking about how that would be them soon. Regardless of the circumstances, she would be his wife. It was the first time that thought had fully registered in his mind. He hadn't had time to think that night at the church. Catherine noticed his eyes on her and tried not to look at him, in fear she'd give away her feelings to the whole room. She looked down for a second and blushed, then reverted her eyes back to the ceremony. This only made Bash smile more. Kenna noticed and looked back and fourth between them for a second, trying to figure out weather or not she was imagining it. They finished their vows and then moved on to the reception. Catherine made herself seen, but made an exit as quickly as possible, and went back to her room. After a little while, Bash noticed her absence and went looking for her.

"There you are. What happened? Were you feeling ill again?" he asked as he entered the room. Catherine was seated at her desk, looking through the box where she kept mementos of her children.

"Where did I go wrong?" she said holding the lock of Claude's baby hair. "What did I do to make her this way?"

"Catherine you can't blame yourself." he said.

"Why? I'm her mother. I'm supposed to raise her to be a good person and I failed. She hates me. I must know why. I can't afford to make that mistake again. I couldn't take it." she said placing her hand over her belly.

"Catherine, you think your going to make our child hate you? That's ridiculous. Claude is...well she's...very hard to get along with. I don't know why she taunts you, but it's not your fault. It was nothing you did. It's just the way she is." he said bending over and taking her face in his hands and kissing her forehead.

"It must be something I did. She hates me Francis hates me. The others are still young, I'm sure they'll grow to hate me too." she said. Bash shook his head.

"Francis doesn't hate you. He might hate me a little..." Catherine made a face. "Kidding...he doesn't hate you, and neither does Claude. She's just...lost. It's not your fault. It's not." Bash said. She started crying a bit and buried her face in his chest. "It will all work out. I know it."

The next day, they were getting ready to see Claude off, as she'd be leaving on her wedding tour. Catherine was walking with Mary to the gate.

"I don't know what to say to her. I may not see her for a very long time and I have no idea what to say. I don't want things to end this way between us." she said.

"You'll know what to say when you see her." Mary said. Catherine flinched a little, another sharp pain shot through her. Mary took her hand. "Are you alright?" Catherine hand went to her stomach, but then she promptly straightened up.

"I'm fine." she said.

"Should I get Bash?" She asked.

"No. I'm okay. I'm okay." she insisted. Mary looked worried, but didn't fight her. She kept hold of her hand and they continued on toward the gate.

When they got there, Claude was hugging Francis and Bash. She pulled away and bowed her head to Mary.

"It was a pleasure to see you again Mary. Take care of our king, will you?" she said.

"I'll do my best." she said smiling. Claude turned to Catherine. She clearly wanted to say something but just kept averting her eyes.

"Claude, I..."

"I'll miss you." Claude said sincerely.

"You'll..."

"Oh don't make a big deal out of it." her tone changed to sarcasm. Catherine smiled the smallest bit, but her eyes were tearing up.

"I...I do love you Claude. I hope you know that." Catherine said. Claude said nothing, but kissed her mother on the cheek.

"I suppose I should be going." she said. She took one last look at her family, then turned and entered her carriage. Catherine stared after it as it disappeared out of sight.

As soon as the the hoof beats could no longer be heard, Catherine felt a hand wrap around hers. She turned to see Bash. He said nothing, just stood there with her.

After a few days past, Catherine started to feel a bit better about Claude's leaving and began getting back to business as usual. She and Bash returned to their little show for the court. They flirted and they sat together at meals. They walked with each other in the halls and took strolls in the garden and out by the lake. The whispers and rumors grew more everyday and so did Catherine's waistline. She wasn't sure how much longer they could keep this up.