Chapter 28

Catherine waited until the nun walked away and then she removed her hood as well.

"Are you sure it was such a good idea to tell her who you are." She asked Mary.

"At this point, whatever moves things along faster is a good idea." She said. "We simply don't have time to explain ourselves."

After a moment, Father John came to great them.

"Your Majesty," he said bowing. "To what do I owe a visit from our lovely queen?" Catherine rolled her eyes. Mary nudged her with her elbow.

"We realize the late hour, and we apologize for interrupting your sleep, but we are in need of you to perform a marriage ceremony." Mary said. Bash reached out and held Catherine's hand.

"Pardon me, your Majesty, but what could be so pertinent as to require such an immediate union?" Asked questions he priest.

"As your Queen, I would request that you not ask any questions...for your own good as well as ours." She said.

"Of course. I would not want to overstep, Majesty." He bowed again. "I will ready the altar, there's a room just off to your right if you'd like to prepare yourselves." Mary nodded and she and Greer led Catherine to the room, leaving Bash to wait in nervous anticipation.

Catherine removed her riding cloak to reveal a gold colored gown. It was simple in style but had a beautiful brocade pattern that made it seem much more elegant. She sat in front of the mirror as Mary started to fix her hair.

"Oh Mary, over a year out of the convent and you still haven't the foggiest how to handle hair. Here, let me." Greer said, trying not to laugh at her. Catherine smiled a small bit, despite herself. Mary moved and let Greer take over as she went and removed a lace covering from Catherine's bag that she'd be using as a veil. Greer finished Catherine's hair and Mary came and placed the veil on her head. Catherine stood and looked in the mirror.

"I suppose it'll have to do." She said.

"I think you look beautiful." Mary said.

"I think I look fat." She said. Mary giggled a bit.

"Your not fat. Your not even showing yet." She said as she adjusted the laces on the back of her dress. "Come on now, Bash is waiting for you." Mary took her arm and led her back out of the room. Mary and Greer entered and stood off to the side. Bash stood up straight awaiting his bride. Catherine entered and Bash had to catch his breath. His heart skipped a beat as she neared him. Catherine could see the joy on his face and suddenly she began to feel it too. She smiled at him as he took her hands in his.

"We are here to join these two souls forever in marriage, so that they may share their lives together. Sebastian, do you take this woman as your wife?"

"No you don't." Came a voice as the church door burst open. It was Catherine's worst nightmare come true. It was Diane.

"This is unbelievable." Said Catherine.

"How are you even here right now?" Bash demanded.

"I've had my guard watching you since I left court. I wasn't just going to let her get away with this. Having an affair with her is bad enough, but I'd rather be dead than see you marry her." Diane said.

"Lady Diane, as your queen I order you to cease and desist. You will not stop this wedding." Mary said.

"I don't need to stop it, Francis will do that for me. While I came here, my guard ran straight to the king and told him what you were up to. he'll be here shortly, I'm sure." She said. A mix of anger and shock fought to take over their expressions. Mary turned back to the priest.

"Father, proceed with the ceremony, and talk fast." Mary ordered.

"Uhh, I, do you take this woman as your wife?" He repeated, as he tried to regain his composure.

"I, Sebastian, take this woman to be my lawful wife under the eyes of God, from this day forward." He said.

"Bash, this is a mistake. You a ruining your life." Diane interjected again as she stepped forward. Mary wished she'd brought a guard along.

"I will not ask you to stand down again!" Mary said with gusto, meeting Diane toe to toe, and looking her dead in the eye.

"You're right, you won't..." They all turned to see Francis in the doorway, Leith off to his side and a handful of guards behind him. "Because this wedding is cancelled." He stepped forward "I see my family has made a habit of betraying me."

"You want to banish me and take me away from the woman I love, and I've betrayed you?" Bash accused. Francis's anger rose as his fist flew and connected with Bash's jaw. Has stumbled back. Catherine and the girls all gasped.

"Francis, please." Catherine said.

"You've lied and deceived me for months and then you have the audacity to break out of the tower and coax my own wife to help you." Francis seethed.

"All you can see is how this effects you, when did you become so self centered? When did you become our father?" Bash said. Francis hit him again, sending him to the floor and bloodying his nose.

"Bash!" Catherine reached forward but stopped herself.

"You think you can speak to me that way after this?" He raised his hand again.

"Francis! Stop!" Mary yelled. "Don't you dare hit him again!"

"And why should I listen to my lying wife?" He said.

"Because I'm pregnant!...that's why he snuck out. We couldn't let you send him away." Catherine interrupted. "Not now."

Francis's face froze. Shock filled his expression as he stood, Bash's blood covering his knuckles. He looked down at him and then back to his mother. Diane's hand flew to her mouth.

"You conniving little witch." Diane said stepping forward.

"Guards, take Lady Diane into custody." Francis said as he'd only just then remembered her presence.

"Me? What for? I only intended to warn you of their deceit." She said.

"Regardless of your intent, you had your guard traipsing around my castle for months without my consent. You can't be trusted. Who knows what he's heard." He said. He turned back around to Bash. "At least you'll have some company in your cell. Leith, shackle him."

"I don't mean to impart my opinion your grace, but isn't this a bit harsh?" Leith said tentatively. Francis gave him a stern look. "I'm sorry Bash." He whispered in his ear as he clasped the cold metal around his wrists.

"Francis, your still doing this? Why are you pushing so hard? Can't you just find it in you to accept them as I have?" Mary said.

The four of them started arguing, but the words blurred themselves together for Catherine. She didn't feel right. Her hand went to her stomach as a sharp pain radiated through her. She yelled out and leaned forward and tried to brace herself by grabbing Mary's arm. Suddenly the arguing stopped.

"Catherine?" Mary put her hand forward as Catherine cried out again, collapsing as she tried to catch her. The room was spinning and voices were garbled in Catherine's ears. She could only just make out Mary frantically calling her name a few times as she held her hand, just before blacking out from the pain.

"Catherine!" Bash yelled trying to pull from the guards grasp and run to her, but failed.

"Father, go find a doctor at once!" Mary said. The priest nodded and left quickly.